• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The $1,000 Power Seat

JeffU

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 Country has developed a problem with the driver's side power seat. One of the three motors internal gears is either jammed or broken. Per a local Jeep dealer the only way to repair it is to buy the entire base assembly with the motors at $1000. There has to be a more economical repair.
Anyone else had this issue ?
Thanks,
Jeff
Atlanta, GA

JeffU said:
My 97 Country has developed a problem with the driver's side power seat. One of the three motors internal gears is either jammed or broken. Per a local Jeep dealer the only way to repair it is to buy the entire base assembly with the motors at $1000. There has to be a more economical repair.
Thanks,
Jeff
Atlanta, GA
Take appart the base and look for yourself as to what's wrong. For one you're probably going to be able to replace it one motor at a time and also it might not be a jam, but rather something easier to deal with (like a short). Also you might be able to find a motor by itself at another source.

The front seat motor on my '95 Country no longer functions so I'm in a similar situation. The dealer wanted $500 for the power assembly on mine. One thing I though of that might be a possible solution is to take the malfunctioning motor out and take it to a shop that rebuilds electical motors, alternators, etc. I can't think of what you call those shops off hand and I dont know how many there are around anymore, but I remember seeing them around in the past. I just havent had a use for a place like that in years so I havent been looking. Hopefully, those shops are still out there.

Atl XJ said:
The front seat motor on my '95 Country no longer functions so I'm in a similar situation. The dealer wanted $500 for the power assembly on mine. One thing I though of that might be a possible solution is to take the malfunctioning motor out and take it to a shop that rebuilds electical motors, alternators, etc. I can't think of what you call those shops off hand and I dont know how many there are around anymore, but I remember seeing them around in the past. I just havent had a use for a place like that in years so I havent been looking. Hopefully, those shops are still out there.

They are called 'rebuilders' :D subheading elelctric motor :D
Junkyard is a better source, maybe a newer one. If possible I'd get the passenger side motors if they are the same. Reason being is that they were probably used alot less...

Just reading RichP recomendations, why do´'t you take the motor from your pasenger side and put it at the drivers side, it should work and the passenger side can be set at one position, mine is never moved so maybe it works for you also.

SACEM

My 97 Country only has a power driver seat. If I had both they should be the same and a easy swap. I guess Chrysler was trying to save $$$. I checked eBay and someone had a module for an old Grand Wagon. I also posted on some on line wrecking yard sites. It is a shame that the gear I have been told is nylon and prone to crack vs. a metal gear that would last longer than the motor. Again $$$$ always rule.
Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Last edited:
lose the power seats and be free!

I've got an '01 sport with manual seats
I had power seats in my '93 and I don't miss them one bit
It's amazing how little you really need to adjust them when you don't have all the friggin' buttons
should be easier and cheaper to find manuals on ebay

I and another poster here have both had problems with our power seat mechanisms that can be traced to the cheezy nylon gears used in the gearbox that is attached to the motors in the seat mechanism.

The gears themselves are not available from Chryco, as they only sell the entire seat base assy.

The fix is to do one of the following:
1. make/buy replacement aftermarket gears
2. scrounge from a boneyard gears from another seat base

Either way, it's no fun .

Which motor do you need, I have a bunch of them. There should be a tag on each motor with a number or description. Let me know.

--Matt

JeffU said:
Thanks,
Jeff
Atlanta, GA

For shure any 97+ base will work. However I am thinking 94+ is all the same too. Power passenger seats where by far not as common in the later years but they do exist. I'm guessing on Limited, or special option only because I got seats out of a 98 Country, and only the driver side was power. One word of advise if you decide to swap in the manual slider youl loose about an inch, and a half of leg room and some head room.

egon said:
Which motor do you need, I have a bunch of them. There should be a tag on each motor with a number or description. Let me know.

--Matt

Green Tag : Listed as "Vertical"
.22 MFD CAP
8-82102
5709606 N3 7117

Back