• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing The Steering

jpfreak

NAXJA Member #1208
I'm not sure if this belongs in OEM or modified...but here goes

After EJS this year, I basically parked the jeep, as I got a DD and now that I have everything settled down, I'd like to fix the steering on my jeep.

The steering wheel sits at a 45 degree angle, and the steering is pretty loose.

While I'm at it, I'd like to upgrade the steering components (this is the 2nd time its come out of adjustment, the last time my mechanic fixed it, and now I have the time and space to fix it myself) but I'm not sure if this means the tie-rod, the drag-link, an entire steering conversion, or what. I'm also planning on lifting the jeep a bit higher (currently at 3 and 32s, plan to go to 6 and 35s), so, I would assume that a track bar and tie rod should be figured into that equation.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

jpfreak said:
I'm not sure if this belongs in OEM or modified...but here goes

After EJS this year, I basically parked the jeep, as I got a DD and now that I have everything settled down, I'd like to fix the steering on my jeep.

The steering wheel sits at a 45 degree angle, and the steering is pretty loose.

While I'm at it, I'd like to upgrade the steering components (this is the 2nd time its come out of adjustment, the last time my mechanic fixed it, and now I have the time and space to fix it myself) but I'm not sure if this means the tie-rod, the drag-link, an entire steering conversion, or what. I'm also planning on lifting the jeep a bit higher (currently at 3 and 32s, plan to go to 6 and 35s), so, I would assume that a track bar and tie rod should be figured into that equation.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Lots of options..But my first suggestion would be to lift it to fit the tires you are gonna run,then align it. Everytime you change the height, the geometry of you steering changes.

If your are going to run 35's the stock steering isn't gonna last long, not to mention uni bearings ect...I would look into one of the aftermarket conversion that is available. you could also swap in wj parts steering/brakes.

Regarding the track bar, yes it should be replaced with a h.d adjustable unit.

If your steering keeps comming out of "adjustment" something is loose or bent. that is the only reason I can think of that would make your steering wheel be at a 45 deg. angle if it hasn't been the result of the lift install.

Most times when the steering wheel goes crooked, I look at the top trac bar joint. I've had two XJ´s do that, both times it was the trac bar. Makes the XJ wander, steer loose and cants the steering wheel.
Rod ends, loose steering box and ball joints, will make it wander some. I have someone turn the steering wheel right and left repeatadly (a few inches) and look at all the suspension arm ends, to include the trac bar, a couple of times a year. Check the hubs and ball joints when I do the brakes.
You can also check for sector shaft play ( it usually moves up and down in the steering box at the pitman arm) while turning the steering wheel right and left a few inches. When the sector shaft gets loose, it usually leaks power steering fluid. A little play or a seep, isn´t going to hurt much. But a little play here and there does add up.

Back