• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x12.5 on 4.5 inch lift

Rawk Krawler00

NAXJA Forum User
i am new to jeeps and i know this is probably a stupid question. i recently got an 2000 XJ sport for my daily driver and want to lift it. i wont be going wheelin much and have a VW i spend most of my $ on, so i need a cheap lift. i was thinking of geting the rough country 4.5 inch lift and wondering if 31x12.5 super swamper Interco SSR's on rock crawler wheels will fit. i know height wise it will, but width wise i am not sure. also i was wondering if i should get the lift with rear blocks/shackles or rear leaf springs (didnt know if one has more clearance than the other, or if rear leaf springs were worth the $) anyway, sorry if this is a newb question, i know it gets annoying on the VW forum i am a member of, and thanks for any info anyone can give me.

-Chris

Rawk Krawler00 said:
i am new to jeeps and i know this is probably a stupid question. i recently got an 2000 XJ sport for my daily driver and want to lift it. i wont be going wheelin much and have a VW i spend most of my $ on, so i need a cheap lift. i was thinking of geting the rough country 4.5 inch lift and wondering if 31x12.5 super swamper Interco SSR's on rock crawler wheels will fit. i know height wise it will, but width wise i am not sure. also i was wondering if i should get the lift with rear blocks/shackles or rear leaf springs (didnt know if one has more clearance than the other, or if rear leaf springs were worth the $) anyway, sorry if this is a newb question, i know it gets annoying on the VW forum i am a member of, and thanks for any info anyone can give me.

-Chris

Springs are worth the money. So is going to a higher end suspension vendor. Rough country gives you a VERY rough ride, or at least, many current or now ex customers of theirs keep saying. Look into an 3.5 or 4.5" RE kit with springs. It costs more, but you get exactly what you pay for.

i cant vouch for the RC lift, but my rustys 3" lift netted 4" and it rides smooth- full spring packs are the way to go, it only cost 490 shipped- i got the heavy duty ones and they still flex and ride nice- i have 31x1050 now, but when those wear out, ive already decided to go with some 325/60/15 (31x1350) bfg's- im just gonna bumpstop and if i need to, trim- id say w/4.5" it should work just fine, but again dont sacrifice quality for a cheap lift

Craig96_XJ said:
i have 31x1050 now, but when those wear out, ive already decided to go with some 325/60/15 (31x1350) bfg's- im just gonna bumpstop and if i need to, trim- id say w/4.5" it should work just fine, but again dont sacrifice quality for a cheap lift

You may need to go for 3.75" backspacing wheels if you want 13x5 wide..

yea, i forgot to mention that i have 15x7 on 3.75 BS- i thinkthats optimal BS, though some say that only 4" is best, i have NO rubbing under MAX stuff and have trimmed the fenders none

With that high a lift, you might need to do an SYE. Also, because this is your DD, you might try a AT tire, instead of a swamper. Personally, if you dont paln on wheeling it, I would do a spacer in the front, and an AAL in the rear. It might not be the best, but it will save you a lot of money, and get you the look that you want.

Craig96_XJ said:
i cant vouch for the RC lift, but my rustys 3" lift netted 4" and it rides smooth- full spring packs are the way to go, it only cost 490 shipped- i got the heavy duty ones and they still flex and ride nice- i have 31x1050 now, but when those wear out, ive already decided to go with some 325/60/15 (31x1350) bfg's- im just gonna bumpstop and if i need to, trim- id say w/4.5" it should work just fine, but again dont sacrifice quality for a cheap lift

I'm currently running those exact tires. I used to run them on a 4" lift on 15X8 american racing wheels, with 3.75 backspacing.
They actually stuffed perfectly at full flex!

I just recently upgraded to a 5.5" lift, and after theses tires wear out (not any time soon) I will go up to a 33" tire.

FWIW though, aired down, these tires are great in the sand!

CaptTrev said:
I'm currently running those exact tires. I used to run them on a 4" lift on 15X8 american racing wheels, with 3.75 backspacing.
They actually stuffed perfectly at full flex!

I just recently upgraded to a 5.5" lift, and after theses tires wear out (not any time soon) I will go up to a 33" tire.

FWIW though, aired down, these tires are great in the sand!

you run those on 15x8? how does that work out as far as sidewall BULDGE? and who mounted them for ya?

Based on what I have read on here over the years and on actual use of the tires,i feel i have a perfect amount of sidewall bulge. Plenty of tire meat to protect the wheel when offroad, but tight enough at street pressure (I used to run them at around 30 psi, but with the gas prices lately I upped them to around 35 psi) and they handle very well.

overall I am very happy with these tires. now with my bigger lift though I am looking to go with 33s soon

Back