• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 XJ w/200K miles...?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I'm looking at a rig for my son/project for ME! :laugh3:
There's a '91 here locally with lots of miles. 4.0, AX-15 (?), 4x4, power everything, straight body.
What's a good price for this and what do I need to be looking for with that many miles on the clicker? :repair:
Fill me in... :wave:

I picked up my 95 XJ for 1600.00 and I had 230,000 miles on it. The interior was mint, it ran great, and everthing worked on it. Nothing was power though and its a 2dr with a 5 spd. But you shouldn't pay much more then that for it, or at least I wouldn't. I ran a quick Kelly Blue Book on a average 90 XJ with 200K on it and it valued at 1500 bucks. Try it and at least ya have something to work with. www.kbb.com

PS: I have over 250,000 on it now and she's doing just fine... Minus My lil water accident this weekend... ugh haha.

BillR said:
I'm looking at a rig for my son/project for ME! :laugh3:
There's a '91 here locally with lots of miles. 4.0, AX-15 (?), 4x4, power everything, straight body.
What's a good price for this and what do I need to be looking for with that many miles on the clicker? :repair:
Fill me in... :wave:

I think $2000 would be the maximum I'd pay for it. You can bet that a vehicle that old with such a high mileage will need money spent on it in the form of repairs to bring it up to tip top condition. If it's been well cared for, those repairs might only be for minor things.
If you're not mechanically minded, ask a mechanic to check it over. You can check all the power accessories and see if they work. The 4.0 engine is as tough as nails so that shouldn't give you any problem. Oil leaks and valvetrain noise are normal, but if the engine smokes or knocks, walk away because it'll need a rebuild. The AX15 is also very tough but you still need to make sure that it shifts smoothly.

My neighbor sold a 91 w/185K in good condition for $850. Prices vary radically depending on the area. Check out Craigslist. It seems to be a good place to look for cheap vehicles.

old_man said:
My neighbor sold a 91 w/185K in good condition for $850. Prices vary radically depending on the area. Check out Craigslist. It seems to be a good place to look for cheap vehicles.
Yeah, check out Craigslist...that's why I'm here. :D
I just picked up my '93 a few days ago. The guy said he would give it to me if I left him the wheels and tires so he could use them on his other Jeep, or I could give him $250 for the whole package. I gave him the $250!
It's a 4.0L 5 speed Sport and appears to be in really good shape. No power windows/locks etc...the way I like it. Came with a nice stereo, w/CD though.
It has about 220K miles on it. The problem? It won't start. He said it was running intermittantly then just got to where it wouldn't anymore. He thinks it's the CAS...we'll see. I decided to take the gamble that I can figure it out and have a nice, cheap XJ.
This seems like a great site!
Cheers!
-Louis-

I can get it for $1K
It needs tires, a p/s hose, and the passenger-side rear door window. Everything else works, and it passed smog checks.
Mechanically-inclined? I've a little work on XJs. This will be my 3rd one. :repair: (glutton for punishment, huh? :laugh3: )

Back