• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard lines on inner side of unibody rail

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
I have a question about the 3 hard lines running down the driver side unibody rails. I can see that 1 is a brake line and 1 is a fuel supply line, but what is the 3rd line? Its cross section is smaller than the fuel line, so about the size of the brake line, but it seems to run to the tank somewhere. Is this the fuel return line? I was looking through the 00 FSM (I have a 97) and it says the fuel return line isn't used since the fuel pressure regulator in the tank drops the excess fuel back in the tank. Is this 3rd hard line on the unibody rail a useless line?

It's probably the vent line that eventually goes into the charcoal cannister.

On RENIX, we have four lines - fuel pressure, fuel return, fuel vapour, and brake hydraulic. The later versions have an in-tank regulator, so you can do away with the "fuel return" line.

5-90

It's not just Renix engines that have 4 lines. My '94 did. I suspect a '95 will also (any 4.0 with the fuel press reg on the manifold). The smaller diameter line noted by Thayer must be the fuel tank evaporation line if it's not fuel or brake.

So it's the evap line... The FSM says nothing about where the charcoal canister is, so I'm guessing it's under the hood since it says the fumes from it go into the intake manifold.

All of this is because I need to replace the lines. They are all severely rusted, except for the fuel supply. I hope the brake line and evap line aren't expensive. I'll have to check at the dealer tomorrow.

The charcoal canister is often found next to the firewall on the passenger-side of the engine. It is a cylinder about 8" tall, 5" diameter. I think there are three fittings on it.

Back