• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 cherokee engine swap

rogbulkley

NAXJA Forum User
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 90 cherokee with the 4.0L is tired at 200K and needs to be put down. I can get a wrecked 1997 cherokee with the 4.0L H0. Can anyone tell me if putting the 1997 engine into my 1990 will work, and what might need to also be changed to accomplish this (drive train, computer, etc.) Thanks, Rog

Do search because there have been serveral recent threads dealing with the same issues.

I believe everything fits. But you also need the manifolds, ps pump from the new engine if you want to use the new head. You will need the flywheel, distributor and throttle body, (temp sensor and injectors ???) to keep your Renix electronics which is easier than trying to swap all the electric stuff over. You will need to install the Renix sensors to your new engine. The throttle body has a different bolt pattern but a spacer can be bought or U make one. I think the other option was to adapt the Renix TPS to the Chrysler TB. A home needs to be found for the knock sensor.

The easier option is to use just the lower block (remember, Renix flywheel/flexplate and sensors) and take the old non-HO head to a machine shop so you keep the old manifolds and all those related parts.

If you search in the other forums you should find more detailed info.

Back