• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ D44 into XJ

aardvark4x4 said:
Has anyone fitted a TJ D44 rearend to an XJ? Is it the same width and are there any other problems apart from the obvious bracket surgery required?
Are you going to fit a housing loaded with gears and locker in? Or is it empty? Also FYI IIRC if you want to regear down the road you'll need thick gears if you want to retain the locker. Lastly consider the costs as it might run you less to build an XJ D44.

I have a chance of getting a TJ D44 with 4.56 gears and an ARB fitted. XJ D44s are not available in the UK, the only 44 equipped Jeeps sold were the TJ, WJ and a few FSJs. I have to consider doing something soon as the D35 rear end in my '92 4.0L now needs rebuilding and I need to regear anyway as it's on 3.07 gears which makes it hard work on the highway with the 31" tires. I was going to swap in a non C-clip 35 with 4.11s from an '87 2.5L XJ and throw in an Aussie locker or similar. If the TJ D44 isn't too narrow andt there aren't too many other potential problems I reckon it could be a good deal. I am anticipating having to cut off the coil spring and track bar mounts, weld on perches for the leaf springs and shorten the driveshaft to fit it to the XJ but was wondering if any of you guys had tried it before.

aardvark4x4 said:
I have a chance of getting a TJ D44 with 4.56 gears and an ARB fitted. XJ D44s are not available in the UK, the only 44 equipped Jeeps sold were the TJ, WJ and a few FSJs. I have to consider doing something soon as the D35 rear end in my '92 4.0L now needs rebuilding and I need to regear anyway as it's on 3.07 gears which makes it hard work on the highway with the 31" tires. I was going to swap in a non C-clip 35 with 4.11s from an '87 2.5L XJ and throw in an Aussie locker or similar. If the TJ D44 isn't too narrow andt there aren't too many other potential problems I reckon it could be a good deal. I am anticipating having to cut off the coil spring and track bar mounts, weld on perches for the leaf springs and shorten the driveshaft to fit it to the XJ but was wondering if any of you guys had tried it before.

The TJ 44 should be fine: I'm actually running a tj44 axle shaft in my xj44 axle and the only differnce is that the tj44 shaft is 1/4" shorter, which means that the whole axle might be 1/2" narrower.
Anyways, in that case you've got it pretty much covered: perches, shock mounts and that's about it. The driveshaft should be more or less fine if it'st he one you had before you lifted (you'll know better after you install it).

Back