• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pumps

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
i have a 95 4.0 HO and i heard from a friend at a jeep dealership that I can use a 97 or newer water pump from the 4.0 and it will have a better flow rate then the one i have now. is there any truth to this?

I put a NEW one in from car quest month or so ago, works well, cost was like $35 or so. It's a new one NOT a rebuilt. When I compared the old one to the new one there was no physical difference other than the old one was dirty, even had the same stampings.

I read on one of the forums I frequent that the only pumps that are different are ones you buy from the dealer. The pump part number from part stores will be the same across the years. I am going to contact the dealer sometime this week to see how much they want for one.

whatever you do, look at the old pump and the new pump and make sure that the arrow inprinted on the inside is spinning in the same direction on both.

ChandlerXJ said:
good luck, old or new, water pumps are a biooootch to take out and put back in...
You obviously never did a water pump on an American V8 in a fully equipped vehicle (AC, PS, etc.) from back in the 1970's. They make the 4.0 a snap by comparison.
:)

Yes, in 97 they redesigned the pump and made it more efficient, even picked up something like 2hp in the process. Anyway, if you ask for a 97' and newer pump at an auot parts place, they are all the same, just like the older pumps.

Therefore, if you want the gain, you will have to get it from the dealer, and probably pay alot of money. If that's the case, I'd probably go with a Hesco unit, for twice the hp and efficiency gain for around the same price. I paid about $160 for mine. :)

JeepSpeed said:
Therefore, if you want the gain, you will have to get it from the dealer, and probably pay alot of money. If that's the case, I'd probably go with a Hesco unit, for twice the hp and efficiency gain for around the same price. I paid about $160 for mine. :)

I had a stock one that I took of the jeep and one that I got from Kragen (paid about $30 for it) and they looked identical.

NAPA pump and fan clutch, oem therm., Prestone week long back flush, Major difference.

Been very, very impressed w/NAPA parts, pricey-er than Autognome or PepGirls, major peace of mind though.

Mike

I am running the "FlowKooler" pump. This pump puts out the same flow rate at idle as it does at highway speed. Keepning it cooler = more power. It does have a point rpm break that allows it to go into highway mode so you don't over spin though. Great pump wth limited Lifetime!!

Back