• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear shifter bearings worn out no start!?

vajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Went to start my 91 xj laredo the other day and no start...well i started messing around with it and i could start it in neutral and also if i pused it in the park position, just wondering what the part i need to replace is called?

Thanks, Vajeeper

Gear shifter bearings/bushings? Does the shifter have a loose feel to it?

First, do a search for "neutral safety switch" and that should tell you whats probably going on and what you need to do about it. Its the switch that prevents you from starting the vehicle unless youre in P or N.

The T handle button operates a flat key that slides into a notch for each gear position. The very corner of the notch and the key gets burrs after years. I cleaned mine up a touch with a very small file and greased the trouble spots with a dab of lithium grease. I used to have to slap the T handle forward once before most every start. I still slap it forward :laugh3: but it's not necessary now, just habit.
I've heard that bending the cable mount a touch also helps.
Pop the gear shift cover up and have a look, the next time it hangs a little before going all the way into the park notch. You can see where it hangs. Both my 87 and 88 did this.

Back