• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 xj dies on highway

balor

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj I6. While driving down the highway it will just cut off. Have radio, a/c and all but not running. Started a couple of weeks ago but usaually could start up before I even came to a complete stop. Now it has to sit for a while and will only run for a moment. Thought it was fuel but it doesn't hesitate just dies. Just replace battery, spark plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor.

Help please.

Not sure on 99`s system, but the fuel filter might be the culprit. The early ones they claim it to be a "lifetime unit". Should be back by the tank area.

balor said:
I have a 99 xj I6. While driving down the highway it will just cut off. Have radio, a/c and all but not running. Started a couple of weeks ago but usaually could start up before I even came to a complete stop. Now it has to sit for a while and will only run for a moment. Thought it was fuel but it doesn't hesitate just dies. Just replace battery, spark plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor.

Help please.

I had exactly the same symptoms from my '92 XJ two years ago and the culprit was a bad CPS (crank position sensor). I'd say with 99.99% certainly that you also have the same problem so replacing the CPS should cure it.

same issue with a '93

replaced CPS, still had problem
it was the CTS or coolant temp sensor (on thermostat housing)
diagnosed and replaced by dealer
completely fixed

Last edited:
Hey, I'm glad you found the site. If you want help with the CPS replacement I'll give you a hand. I'm the police officer who stopped by when you were on the side of the road.

Cop

My 97 was doing it. It would just die.
It was the fule pump.

cop said:
Hey, I'm glad you found the site. If you want help with the CPS replacement I'll give you a hand. I'm the police officer who stopped by when you were on the side of the road.

Cop
now that's cool :)

Try what they suggest above. I know that mine was having problems running on the highway too. I take it offroad at least once a month now and it's a LOT happier!

Now if I can teach it to cook! :)

I had the exact problem u have, everyone told me fuel pum, thermostat and the list goes on. If the engine dies without warning and no stumble or sputter it will be the CPS, if its not I'll eat mine..........
By the way cop is my new hero, around my place if police stop by when your on the side of the road you'll get a ticket for being an obstruction or too far from the curb. (stupid really) anyway cops should be like cop not like cops.

Back