• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Gurgling/bubbling" sound coming from fuel tank?

iroc86

NAXJA Forum User
I finally completed the reconstruction of my Cherokee; it's been a year and I first drove it three days ago! I've noticed a rather odd noise coming from the fuel tank area: gurgling. I can only hear it when the Jeep is off, but engine noise would prohibit me from checking with the vehicle running (it's a very faint "gurgle"). I can only surmise that there's some type of fuel vapor purge going on, but why, and why all the time? There is no audible pressure in the gas tank when I remove the cap, either.

Yep, I noticed the gurgling right after I filled up the tank. Glad to hear that it's a "normal" occurrence. Normal for a Jeep, anyway :D.

Ever smell gas fumes when this happens? I've smelled them inside (rarely) the vehicle, but i usually just hear it when i'm working on it, and sometimes i'll start to smell fumes a little

Yeah, no kidding. I just spent 60 bucks as well. I plan on driving at 55mph from now on. I commute 40 miles roundtrip a day. And this gas cost is killing me.
I think someone needs to start a new thread on how to get the most MPG's from an XJ. I've been looking for cheep 4cyl beaters to drive. I'll park my XJ till gas comes down.

langer1 said:
That's the sound of your money going to George Bush.
and that's the sound of your brain being converted into Micheal Moore fat cells...

bustednutz said:
Yeah, no kidding. I just spent 60 bucks as well. I plan on driving at 55mph from now on. I commute 40 miles roundtrip a day. And this gas cost is killing me.
I think someone needs to start a new thread on how to get the most MPG's from an XJ. I've been looking for cheep 4cyl beaters to drive. I'll park my XJ till gas comes down.
Been done. Maybe even twice ;)

My 98 does it too. I researched it once and found a TSB describing the problem and fix, but decided not to bother with it unless I need to drop the tank for some other reason.

-Chuck

Chuck_SA said:
My 98 does it too. I researched it once and found a TSB describing the problem and fix, but decided not to bother with it unless I need to drop the tank for some other reason.

-Chuck
So what causes it? Weird venting?

From www.nhtsa.gov:

Make : JEEP
Model : CHEROKEE
Year : 1998
Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION

Service Bulletin Num : 140698
Date of Bulletin: DEC 11, 1998
NHTSA Item Number: 603109

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

Summary:
A RATTLING, KNOCKING OR GURLING NOISE MAY BE PRESENT COMING FROM INSIDE THE FUEL TANK. *YC

JeffsJeep04 said:
So what causes it? Weird venting?

Not sure. You can request the full TSB, but I think they charge "processing fees."

Mine makes the same annoying noise, sounded like plastic balls floating around in there.

It was a sad day last week when I put the "for sale or trade" sign in my month old XJ's window. It's ok though, my 240sx is my toy, I need transportation right now, and the XJ is turning into too much of a toy. I doubt it will sell though, plus I need the 4WD to go snowboarding this winter.

Plastic balls indeed. If I remember correctly, the TSB mentioned the fix was to add or reposition a spring against a float ball of some sort inside the tank. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it was over a year since I read the TSB and I don't have access to it any longer.

-Chuck

Here you go:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A rattling, knocking or gurgling noise may be present coming from inside the fuel tank. The noise can usually be heard with the tank between 3/4 and full. The noise may be the anti-siphon check ball moving in the filler neck.

DIAGNOSIS:

This noise can be hard to diagnose because it is dependant on the amount of fuel in the tank. If customers complain of a rattling, knocking or gurgling noise coming from inside the tank, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 05014530AA Spring

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves installing a spring that preloads the anti-siphon check ball the filler inlet in the fuel tank.

IMO, the repair procedure hardly seems worthwhile unless its really bothering you.

regards,
jlex.

jlex said:
Here you go:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A rattling, knocking or gurgling noise may be present coming from inside the fuel tank. The noise can usually be heard with the tank between 3/4 and full. The noise may be the anti-siphon check ball moving in the filler neck.

DIAGNOSIS:

This noise can be hard to diagnose because it is dependant on the amount of fuel in the tank. If customers complain of a rattling, knocking or gurgling noise coming from inside the tank, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 05014530AA Spring

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves installing a spring that preloads the anti-siphon check ball the filler inlet in the fuel tank.

IMO, the repair procedure hardly seems worthwhile unless its really bothering you.

regards,
jlex.

Well, thanks for clearing that one up. I was beginning to think my Jeep was haunted... :laugh3:

Back