• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakota springs or lift shackles?

fire325

NAXJA Forum User
Which would be the most wise...install the Dakota springs or use lift shackles?Will the Dakota springs flex as good as the stock springs with the AAL?I carry quite a bit of weight in my XJ,and sometimes tow a trailer with mowers on it. NAXJA member#579.

Dakota springs will give you 4" of lift and are pretty stout. They do flex as alot of people use them. It is better to run full leafs than ones with shackles for lift.

giranger said:
Dakota springs will give you 4" of lift and are pretty stout. They do flex as alot of people use them. It is better to run full leafs than ones with shackles for lift.

I'm running the Dakota leaves. Great flex and awsome ride. Although,they will only give you a full 4+" of lift if you use the Dakota's main leaf with the eyes cut off in conjunction with the XJ's main leaf. If you only use the Dakota's 3 bottom leaves with the XJ main,you'll only get around 3". My advise also,go to the parts store and buy a set of those universal leaf spring clamps,too. I have a problem with mine "walking" around and have to beat them back into position on a regular basis.:anon:

fire325 said:
Which would be the most wise...install the Dakota springs or use lift shackles?Will the Dakota springs flex as good as the stock springs with the AAL?I carry quite a bit of weight in my XJ,and sometimes tow a trailer with mowers on it. NAXJA member#579.

A longer shackle doesn't add any weight-carrying capacity to the springs at all. Go with the Dakota leaves. You can mix-and-match with the stock leaves to dial in the height you want.

BrianGibson said:
what year dakota springs do you use

pre 97. The 97+ are spring over and have less arch. The older ones are sprung under.

Im running the bottom 3 leaves of a dakota pack with a .75 inch shackle that gives a little over 4 inches that rides and flexes really well.

Back