• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit vs. Lock Right

The full carrier Detroit design is stonger & so are the springs that engage the unit. The Lock Right is a simpler install. No gear setup to worry about.

Rob P

I assumed the same thing as the two previous responces. (I agree with the above answers.)

But just FYI, Detroit also makes a lunchdox detroit locker. Its called the EZ LOCKER. It is about the same as a lock-rite.

If you do choose to go the lunch box route, do your self a favor, before laying down the green backs look at a AUSSIE LOCKER. They tend to be cheaper, have a longer warenty and NO TIRE SIZE LIMITATIONS for that warenty!!! The others limit the tire size, if you have a problem and tell tham you are running a tire taller than say 31" you will be S.O.L!!!

CW

I ran a lockright for years with no problems, with 33, 35, and 36 inch tires. The 36 inch tires did it in on Rattlerock at Coal Creek. The lockright broke, and ruined my ring and pinion. Now I have a Detroit. No problems yet. Basically they have a higher load rating (if you will) as they will handle heavier / larger tires.

Harvo said:
I ran a lockright for years with no problems, with 33, 35, and 36 inch tires. The 36 inch tires did it in on Rattlerock at Coal Creek. The lockright broke, and ruined my ring and pinion. Now I have a Detroit. No problems yet. Basically they have a higher load rating (if you will) as they will handle heavier / larger tires.

Agreed, but your axle does not have a higher load rating. If you're running this is a D30 or D35 axle, the strength of the locker can be your enemy. A lunchbox will allow a very slight amount of slipage which will end up saving your dif if you have bigger than 35s. If you're runnin' less than a D44 axle, go lunchbox, it will be easier on your equipment.

just my two cents.

.....Curt

Red97XJ said:
purl,

So your saying a lunchbox will "SLIP" instead of breaking if more torque is applied than it was designed for?
hmmm then why is it that I hear of more lock rights broken then detroits?

Red97XJ said:
purl,

So your saying a lunchbox will "SLIP" instead of breaking if more torque is applied than it was designed for?

No, what I'm saying is it will give a LITTLE easing the strain on your axles. It's better for weaker axles than a full locker is what I'm saying.

Red97XJ said:
purl,

Sorry, but lockers don't slip. They are not designed to. They are designed to lock both axels together, hence the name locker. They will differntiate, when turning, { I don't believe ARB's will when engaged} but they will not allow a tire to spin slower than the ring gear at all.

FELIX said:
Sorry, but lockers don't slip. They are not designed to. They are designed to lock both axels together, hence the name locker. They will differntiate, when turning, { I don't believe ARB's will when engaged} but they will not allow a tire to spin slower than the ring gear at all.

You guys are killin' me. ALL I'm saying is Lunchboxes are easier on lighter axles. Because (and you can ask any manufactuer or off-road shop) Lunchboxes do allow some slack.

I'm wondering how a lunchbox locker is easier on a lighter axle? Do they break before the shafts? When that happens what happens to the lighter axle's gear carrier?

Is driveline slack a good thing?

woody said:
I'm wondering how a lunchbox locker is easier on a lighter axle? Do they break before the shafts? When that happens what happens to the lighter axle's gear carrier?

Is driveline slack a good thing?

I give up

Harvo said:
What model Detroit locker are you asking about, they make several now days?
One is even 2 in 1, Limited slip when off and full lockup when on.

Since ive now had both.... Im 100% all about the detroit! its alot more predictable than a lunchbox and just overall stronger! Also, if you break a shaft is alot easier to replace the shaft. A lunch box has to be taken totally apart to get the c clip off

Back