• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick snorkel questions

XJNinja

NAXJA Forum User
i was just wondering about snorkels. my question is: first, where to order one for a 2000, second what about rain getting in the intake, and third how is gas mileage with one?

oh yes, it flooded here REALLY bad. and we didnt think it would with our town being 50' above sea level, however we were wrong.

on a 97+ isnt the washer fluid bottle in the way?

yes the bottle is sorta in the way but can be routed around... make sure you can turn off any electric fans too if you run them and make sure that just because adding a snorkel means you might consider exaust extension and any other parts that have seals are sealed properly!

I have a pre97 ARB snorkel on my 2000. The snorkel itself is the same but the newer style includes the washer bottle relocater kit which adds about $100 to the price. I recommend using the old style and find a different washer bottle to use saving you the $100. I pulled one from an older XJ in the junkyard. Its the washer bottle that mounts in the engine compartment between the air box and brake booster. My 2000 brake booster is larger than the older jeeps, so I had to dent in the corner of the bottle to get it to fit. The holes for the washer motors also needed to be enlarged slightly, but it was a very easy bottle to use.

The snorkel is a true cold air intake, but don't expect to see huge gains in fuel efficiency from it.

Rain is not really a problem either. The first day I had mine it was raining all day. I drove about 30 miles freeway and 10 miles around town. The next morning I opened the air box to see how much water it took in and there was only a small amount in the bottom. So rain isn't a concern unless it is a HUGE downpour and you will be driving a long time in it.

Also someone metioned the exhaust. Don't worry about it. I can say that from personal experience from getting stuck in 4 ft of water. Exhaust was fine.

yeah, build your own, go to home depot or whatever and buy some 2" pvc pipe and like 6 or 7 45degree elbows. Mock it up and put it together...Rain isnt a problem at all. I was thinking the same thing before i did mine, ive driven for hours in heavy rain the air filter is hardly wet afterwords, nothing to cause any damage whatsoever.

Yea, i use mine. Once i got it i just had to try it! once i tried it, it was so much fun, i did it again!

here i have compiled all the info you need for a home brew snorkel and also a few links to store bought ones too!
check it

Here is what I plan on doing to mine:
http://www.custom4x4.com/cherokee_snorkle_pics.htm

I plan on running the top in teh middle of the cowl cover and not the hood. There is a open space to the right side of the valve over on the firewall that will route into the cowl area. It's not in the way of the wiper arm. If I hate it, I'll just replace the cowl cover and plug the openeing with something at the firewall.

Only downside is the top will have to be removed to open the hood all the way. I plan on using some HighTemp ducting from JCWhitney.com in 3".

EricsXJ said:
I have a pre97 ARB snorkel on my 2000. The snorkel itself is the same but the newer style includes the washer bottle relocater kit which adds about $100 to the price. I recommend using the old style and find a different washer bottle to use saving you the $100. I pulled one from an older XJ in the junkyard. Its the washer bottle that mounts in the engine compartment between the air box and brake booster. My 2000 brake booster is larger than the older jeeps, so I had to dent in the corner of the bottle to get it to fit. The holes for the washer motors also needed to be enlarged slightly, but it was a very easy bottle to use.

The snorkel is a true cold air intake, but don't expect to see huge gains in fuel efficiency from it.

Rain is not really a problem either. The first day I had mine it was raining all day. I drove about 30 miles freeway and 10 miles around town. The next morning I opened the air box to see how much water it took in and there was only a small amount in the bottom. So rain isn't a concern unless it is a HUGE downpour and you will be driving a long time in it.

Also someone metioned the exhaust. Don't worry about it. I can say that from personal experience from getting stuck in 4 ft of water. Exhaust was fine.
Hey Eric,
Do you have any pics/writeup of how you used the washer bottle from an earlier model and installed it in your rig. Recent fender accident damaged my washer bottle, thinking of relocating it to a "better" location other than the driver side fender. Thanks.

jxj said:
Hey Eric,
Do you have any pics/writeup of how you used the washer bottle from an earlier model and installed it in your rig. Recent fender accident damaged my washer bottle, thinking of relocating it to a "better" location other than the driver side fender. Thanks.

Here's a pic from LOCKED UP's website (he sold his XJ a while back) but I used the same washer bottle and mounted it in the same location, which is stock on some of the older XJs that it was salvaged from:

IMG_0304.JPG

The holes in the bottom needed to be widened just a tad for the motors to fit in from my 2000.

water is the reason mud-suks......water will enter everything everywhere untill you prevent it from doing so.......keep your engine running or it will find its level inside your engine through your exhaust.....dielectric grease, rtv, and fresh rubber seals r your anti-water friends.....the deeper the mud or water the higher up you may need to water proof things.....snorks work but they are not a magic bullet.....HTH.....Mike

Back