• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I put these shackles together?! pics

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
here are the huge 2'' (like 6 inches long?) shackles (spacers shown too, 2'' spacer actually almost more than 2.5'') I got yesterday but I don't know how to put them together... what goes where when installing?
shackles
large poly spacers
bushings? four
sleeves 2 bolts 4 and nuts 4
Washers... 8 count

ha ha ha

ok...

what did you buy them as?

the shackles and spacers work together be a lift...

look at your rear suspention, and see if you can find the stock shackle - then un-bolt that, and put the new one where that one is

look at your front suspention, and see if you can find your coil spring - take that out, put the coil spacer on the bumpstop tower, and put your coil back in.

i dont know what that other stuff is... the bolts might be greaseable for teh shackle, but if that isnt it, i dont know...

-Ranger

XJ_ranger said:
look at your front suspention, and see if you can find your coil spring - take that out, put the coil spacer on the bumpstop tower, and put your coil back in.

-Ranger

What is a bumpstop tower? I thought there were two coil springs?

ChandlerXJ said:
here are the huge 2'' (like 6 inches long?) shackles (spacers shown too, 2'' spacer actually almost more than 2.5'') I got yesterday but I don't know how to put them together... what goes where when installing?

These are Coil spring spacers, these go in the FRONT:

These are Shackle bushings, they go in the BACK in the top hole of the shackle:

These are sleeves for the bushings and bolts the 2 gold-ish pieces go in the middle of the bushings on the top. The bolts go into the holes in the top and bottom of the shackle, the nuts turn in a clockwise motion to tighten onto the bolts. :laugh3: :

These are washers, they go between bolthead and metal, and metal and the nut:

Last edited:
no wonder they don't work,

looks like they're glued to the wall.

:laugh:

...BOB

ChandlerXJ said:
thanks for the assembly instructions... i wonder how much lift ill get outta these, the shackle are actually more then 8 inches long i think

The shackle pic didn't work for me when i first resopnded.. Those look like chevy truck lowering shackles (on a chevy, the shacles mount 'upside down' in relation to the shackles on an xj) . they'll work, but i believe they provide a little more than 2" of lift.

ChandlerXJ said:
thanks for the assembly instructions... i wonder how much lift ill get outta these, the shackle are actually more then 8 inches long i think

Shackles need to be longer than the lift they advertize, as they only "lift" one end of the spring. If you think about it for a moment it should make sence to you.

Those look like poly bushings. Do you self a favor, use lotsa white lithium grease upon assembly!!! They can become quite noisy with out it!

Good Luck,
CW

1 week till install and i began the PB blaster process, its hard to get i nthere to spray it, it goes everywhere smells strong and is wicked gross on your hands haha

the bushings go into the smaller end of the shackles, the tubes slide inside of the 2 bushings per shackle, the spacers go on top of the front coil springs, washers are used where needed and that will become obvious as you diassemble the old parts to put the new ones in, should end up with approximatly a 2" lift when done

My suggestion would be find someone from the Northeast chapter (or from another forum) and see if they can help you out with the install. Or pay to have it done. Having someone with the right tools who has a good working knowledge of lifts or jeeps will be worth it. You can learn alot that way...i know I did and most on here as well. That's just my .02

Back