• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge problems...

EljayK004

NAXJA Forum User
On my dashboard gauges occasionally(usually right after I start the truck after sitting in the sun for a long time on hot days) my speedometer and tachometer go dead, the airbag and the check engine light both go on and the odometer reads "no bus". Anyone else ever have this problem? What's going on?

Thanks in advance,
Johnny K

tj's had aproblem like that, it was a loose/corroaded connector on the back of the instrument panel. the one i fixed i pulled the gage panel out and put di-elec. grease on the conn.

What year ? The 97+'s have that as a common problem, solution can be done two ways, dealer does it or you do it. Two approaches, first and least expensive is to pull your center bezel round the radio/hvac controls and start removing the trim pieces so you can remove the gauge panel, once it's out you need to clean the two self docking plugs, put some dielectric grease on them and put it back together. Second approach is to go to the dealer and buy two new and 'improved' self docking sockets, cut the old ones off and splice in the new ones and then reassemble. The first approach takes about an hour, most of that time is spent figuring out how to get the gauge panel out. I did mine a couple of years ago when I replaced my idiot light panel with a gauge panel out of a TJ. Have had no problem [knock on wood] since.

I just took my dash out tonight, and did a search earlier. Somebody said to disconnect the CPS and see if the "no bus" display goes away. I am going to try this tomorrow since simply removing everything and blowing on them had no effect, nor did removing the plugs from the ECU. I am going to try dielectric if that doesn't work.

I spoke with a dealer this afternoon. He told me about the replacement plugs. $6.95, Mopar PN 5016261AA. I DO NOT want to splice all those wires, this will be a royal PITA.

I will try to hop on and let you know about my exploits tomorrow. Good luck in the interim.

Thanks for all the responses I'm going to try taking a look at it when I get a chance. Thanks again.

Had same thing happen on '98XJ & '94YJ. Common problem, my fix was the same for both gauge clusters. Maybe it'll help U. Remove gauge cluster and re-tighten (don't over-tighten) small Phillips-head screws on back of contacts. if there is any corrosion (due to water drips...) clean that off first with some isopropyl alcohol, then tighten screws.

I have no clue what happened - I had my dash apart again earlier this week - but my problem fixed itself. I think I just had moisture somewhere that, for some reason, took over a week to dry out.

Hope you have the same luck!

Back