• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lines

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am lifting my jeep 2'' next weekend with 31's and I figure I should extend the brake lines... I know there are longer lines I can buy, I just don't know what make and model to go get at the auto parts store... Also, how do you even go about doing this job? How long does it take? Should I just extend them or replace them with new longer ones... how could I do this, affordable too.

as stated, there's no need to get new lines at 2". if you want to feel better, simply straighten out the hard line to further down on the "frame rail," and re-mount the little bracket lower. take a look at it and you'll know what i'm talking about.

as for how to do it? - if you decide to get longer ones...
take the old ones out. put the new ones in and then bleed the brake lines.

there is a neat little trick to bleeding them too, if you loosen the connection to the caliper for the lower half of the brake line it will allow the air out of the line(instead of the valve when bleeding) without making it go through the caliper, saves alittle bit of time when you are bleeding them.
oh yeah it should take like one or two hours.
did i miss anything?

from experience, no extension is needed- i have a rustys 3" full leaf kit and netted 4" from the rear- i still havent got around to installing the rear BL extend bracket, and w/out the rear swaybar, its been up on a lift a couple times and had no problems- ive also wheeled the piss outta this thing in the past 2 weeks, and when its at full droop, the line is at its limit- again, 4" in the rear, so 2" will be fine

How much longer than stock are the YJ front and 96 Dakota rear lines? do you know if they are as long as RE's replacement SS lines for instance? I'm just curious for a future budget build.

slvrmdxj said:
How much longer than stock are the YJ front and 96 Dakota rear lines? do you know if they are as long as RE's replacement SS lines for instance? I'm just curious for a future budget build.

the YJ's are something like 3" longer

i used to run them, then they became too short, so now i run some mid 90's GMC 3/4 ton IFS front brake lines...

here is a pic of the YJ lines next to the Mid 90's GM 3/4 ton lines - they are about 3.5" longer than the YJ lines, so about 6.5" longer than the stock XJ front lines...
dc4uv8.jpg

in the rear i still run my YJ line

the reason for the 6.5" longer lines in front is the full width axle at 6" lift...

EDIT - note: the YJ and mid 90's 3/4 ton IFS lines are specific right and left, so make sure to get one right and one left... and the mid 90's GM units took a very small amount of grinding to fit the f-150 caliper that i run, and the caliper mounts were the same on the d30 and the d44...

when I put on my 3" lift I couldn't reconnect my rear line. Fronts were ok so I'd say you're ok there. In the rear I put in an early 90's dakota line. I did eventually change the front ones to a yj line though.

Back