• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie installing FT 6in

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, the weekend is coming up and i've finally taken leave (usmc) to go install my lift on my 99xj. Does anyone that has the Full Traction 6 in lift kit have any advice about the install? Anything at all would be helpful and much appreciated. Here's the specs... 99xj, 4.0, aw-4, d30 front, 8.25 rear, both open diff, going to gear to 4.56, installing FT 6in, 35x12.50 bfg muds on AE 187 15x8 with 3 3/8in bs, Rigid Co FBG front and their custom rear bumpers, AA SYE and Tom woods custom driveshaft, Bilstein 5150 front and 5100 rear, wanting to keep front sway bar and maybe fab up something for the rear as this is my daily driver. I have to put all that on and have it aligned, regeared and then state inspected (about to expire) by the 23rd of september. Lol, so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks all.

your 35's will prob. rub, unless you do some trimming. you wont need the rear sway bar for a dd. i got tired of the dissconnects on the front and eventually just left the front off when the drop brackets broke. with the front on, i hardly noticed any more body roll than stock(for putting 6+" on). and body roll is tolerable w/o the front one on. i put on 33x13.50s with 3.75bs. had to bend sheet metal in rear to clear(after wheeled). and removed end caps on front(to leave tire shop). i push off the front flares a lot(wheelin, fine on road). also had to adj. turn stops.

as for anymore info. id suggest searching.

cool, thanks a bunch for info. did you bumpstop? how long? My "wheeling" is mostly mud, a few hills, snow and beaches. not a whole lot of rocks. I did search, but figured I'd ask for tips about things people haven't asked. did you end up welding your front sway bar extensions or did you try something else?

So what are you asking? How to install the suspension kit, or tips about how the kit functions once installed?

Fred

you dont need the compressor, and i did weld up they swaybar drop brackets and added some extra support to them. didnt add anything bumpstop wise other than what came with the FT kit. and both coils and leafs you get from FT work great. i can park my front tire up on a 39" tsl no prob. im glad i went FT. as far as gearing goes, i would have a qualified shop do it for you. i had to set it up a week in advance and ran just under 300 an end.

oh, if you didn't know, there is some welding req.

doodahman said:

i've helped a couple buddies install their lifts and when we got to the front coil springs we always had to use one because the front end was on jackstands and the axle wasn't drooped all the way. it was always a real PITA trying to wiggle them into place.

XgeekstarX said:
i've helped a couple buddies install their lifts and when we got to the front coil springs we always had to use one because the front end was on jackstands and the axle wasn't drooped all the way. it was always a real PITA trying to wiggle them into place.

You've obviously not installed this kit before... Not to bust your balls here, but this kit is a COMPLETE front suspension relpacement -- meaning control arms, springs, shocks, pitman arm, brake lines, trac bar, etc... The front axle is completely detached from the vehicle.

108_0801.jpg

My advice is measure twice, drill once. Particularly be careful with the lower control arm brackets.

108_0819.jpg

108_0821.jpg

Be careful on the driver's side. On the inboard side of the "frame" rail are your fuel and brake lines. You don't want to go through those...

108_0822.jpg

The kit works well and has held up for over a year and a half on my DD.

bermweb.jpg

Fred said:
So what are you asking? How to install the suspension kit, or tips about how the kit functions once installed?

Fred

Again, probably not clear enough, but i'm NOT asking how to install the kit, I've got that down, I AM asking for tips on installs, what people thought that if they did it different it would make it a bit smoother, tips on lower and upper control arm adjustment, quirks about the kit during and after install, just a heads up mostly.

53guy said:
Again, probably not clear enough, but i'm NOT asking how to install the kit, I've got that down, I AM asking for tips on installs, what people thought that if they did it different it would make it a bit smoother, tips on lower and upper control arm adjustment, quirks about the kit during and after install, just a heads up mostly.

the instructions for the CA brackets was a little lacking but it is realy self explanitory. just be sure not to over tighten the self taping bolts. have something handy to cut off the LCA brackets.

langer1 said:
What's the chances of you leave getting cut short when the President gets back from Lousianna?

[Gary Coleman voice] What-chu talkin' bout, Willis? [/Gary Coleman voice]

langer1 said:
What's the chances of you leave getting cut short when the President gets back from Lousianna?

The chances of my leave getting cut short are slim to none. I just checked out at noon on the 2nd of sept. so unless the world goes to shit and D.C. gets bombed, they wont recall me. But if they do, it'll be fine, my 'rents live about 2 hours away from quantico, so I can barrow a car and drive back. Well, thanks a bunch guys for the info on that FT Kit. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get it done and I'll post some pictures if I can figure that crap out. Lol, I can fix a 53 million dollar helocoptor, but I can't figure out how to post pictures. How darned ironic is that?

bermweb.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Are you repainting your jeep? Is this one the same as your install pictures you have on yahoo or wherever they are? It looks awesome from that angle. :laugh3:

Back