• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Specs for fuel line connection renewal kit?

rickoregon

NAXJA Forum User
One of the NAXJA members, 5-90, gave us the part number - REPAIR KIT #83502745 (3 req.) - in the following thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=544743#post544743

I searched the web for an online source, but couldn't locate one.

Does anyone know the exact specifications for the o-rings in this kit? If I know the size (inside diameter and ring diameter) and the type of material, I may be able to find it at a place like McMaster-Carr.

Thanks, Rick

--
Rick & Kate Johnson
Venice Ranch, Burns, Oregon 97720
http://home.centurytel.net/venice/

XJade - thanks for the post. Yes, I'm sure a dealer can get these, but I've been yanking the fuel lines a lot, lately and have a hunch I'll be doing it even more as time goes by -- I'm beginning to enjoy working on XJ's! :cool:

So, I'm trying to determine the specs, particularly the type of material, so I can find them in bulk. I think I can get by just replacing the o-rings - the other two parts that constitute the kit are plastic and look fairly durable.

I checked the on-line source you provided, and they do carry the kits at a little over $12 each. My guess is that price would go up to about $14 or so each for a total of $42 with the shipping included. I think I can get a lot of o-rings for $42.

If anyone knows what type of fuel-resistent material these o-rings are made of, I can probably measure the dimensions myself.

Some choices of materials for o-rings at mcmaster are:

Buna-N
Viton
Silicone
Neoprene
PTFE
EPDM (Ethylene Propylene)
FEP-Encapsulated
Polyurethane
Kalrez® Perfluoroelastomer

Anyone know?

i dont know the specs of them... i heard they were neopreme ... what i do know for a fact is you CAN NOT use a standard O-ring .. i made that mistake and had nasty fuel leak after the seal degraded in less then a day

rickoregon said:
If anyone knows what type of fuel-resistent material these o-rings are made of, I can probably measure the dimensions myself.

Some choices of materials for o-rings at mcmaster are:

Buna-N
Viton
Silicone
Neoprene
PTFE
EPDM (Ethylene Propylene)
FEP-Encapsulated
Polyurethane
Kalrez® Perfluoroelastomer

Anyone know?

I wonder if this guide would get you in the ball park:

http://www.marcorubber.com/compatibility.htm

Wilchar, thanks for the tip about Neoprene.

And XJade, thanks for the link to the compatibility guide. I looked at it and I've done some research there and elsewhere on the web. The following available materials have promise for the fuel line quick connects:

Silcone (burnt orange)
Neoprene (black)
Viton (black)
Fluorosilicone (blue or brown)

I'm going to buy some of each to try. Viton is good, but its low temperature rating of -10F makes it problematic for colder environments. Neoprene and Fluorosilicone have good temperature ranges with Neoprene and Fluorosilicone (particularly the latter) having good resistance to oils and gasoline. Silicone seems a little suspect, even though it has good temperature endurance, because it is rated fairly low for gasolene... hmmm, if Jeep uses Silicone, maybe that's why they use a double o-ring configurations, separated by a plastic spacer... to make the seal more durable.

While I was looking, I thought I'd check out candidate o-ring materials for the injectors and the automatic transmission cooler line quick disconnects, as well.

I'm thinking that any of these four materials would work for the ATF lines and the outside o-ring for the injectors (where the injectors connect to the fuel rails).

However, the inside injector o-ring appears to be a different color, and I suspect it needs to withstand higher temperatures, pressures, temperature changes, and harsher chemical conditions. Anyone know what material is used for the o-rings inside the intake manifold? And what color are they when you get the injector kit new from the dealer - brown, red, other?

Thanks, Rick

The OEM fuel injector o-rings on my 1990 were burnt orange to brown on one end of the injector (engine end, I think) and black on the other end of the injector. All replacements, purchased as a kit from the dealer, were black.

4xBob: The brown color would make me think the material is fluorosilicone. Perhaps the replacements are Neoprene, which is black. Even though neoprene does not have the oil resistance of fluorosilicone, maybe it's used as a replacement part, because it's less expensive and easier to install (you don't have to know which color goes on which end of the injector..).

langer1: The information from Parker Hannafin Inpform would be consistent with what I've read about the properties of fluorosilicone rubber. According to Dow, which sells this material, it's especially well suited for "demanding applications that require a very high integrity oil seal over an extended life, while continually exposed to hydrocarbons." (See http://www.dowcorning.com/content/rubber/rubberapps/app_fuel-seal.asp for additional features.)

Dow also states that fluorosilicone is good for "quick-fit fluid connector fittings". I would think the Jeep engineers might have selected this same material for the ATF quick fits, as well, although on my rig the used ATF quick-fit o-rings look sorta greenish. Does anyone know the color of the new ATF cooling line o-rings? Are they brown or green?

Problem with fluorosilicone and also silicone, as I understand the materials - they both have poor wear resistance. If these are used in the injectors, the fuel connections, and the ATF connections, it makes sense that Jeep would want you to replace them every time you pull 'em.. perhaps Neoprene or Viton would be a good substitute for my use, as they both have good wear resistance.

Thanks for the feedback langer1 , 4xBob, and everyone else. Much obliged, Rick

--
Rick & Kate Johnson
Venice Ranch, Burns, Oregon 97720
http://home.centurytel.net/venice/

The o-rings that came in my dealer connector kit were red I believe. When I did this replacement the second time, I used the dealer kit install tool, and used the o-rings I purchased at an auto parts store. All you need is the fuel resistant o-rings that most any parts store carries. I also have black ones that work as well. I do not know the diameter or size of the o-rings. You could take one of your old o-rings with you and have it sized up and matched.

Tally_XJ: are those the o-rings for the fuel lines or the ATF cooling lines you say are red in the dealer kit - sounds like they're made of silicone.

Here's what I measured for the various o-rings on our '89 (NOTE: I won't know for sure if these measurements are correct until they're delivered):

------------------------------------------------------
Location of o-ring ID OD Dash #
(inch) (inch)
fuel lines
(6 total for 3
quick-connects) 5/16 7/16 11

fuel press. reg
fuel injectors
(13 total for 6
injectors, 1 FPR) 5/16 9/16 203

ATF cooler lines
(2 quick-connects,
I think..) 3/8 1/2 12

Maybe I'll get one of those kits from the dealer. Thanks for the information. -Rick

I honestly cant remember what color the dealer o-rings were. They coulda been black. However, I am not sure it matters what color they are as long as they are fuel grade o-rings of the correct size. I do know that some replacement o-rings I found were in an o-ring assortment over at my landlords motorcycle shop.

You are better off getting the OEM "O" ring set, for the sake of a few dollars you'll be certain you have the right part(s) and won't have to worrry about a fire, unless of course you install them wrong. You don't have to but three sets all at once but it is nice to have a spare set or two.

dizzymac, TallyXJ - thanks for your posts. I may buy one set from the dealer for the fuel lines and another set for the automatic transmission cooler lines.

However, as I mentioned earlier, I'll be pulling these lines on and off quite a bit as I try different troubleshooting efforts and perhaps do some additional maintenance with this rig. So at about $15 times 3 for the fuel lines and I'd guess a similar amount for the ATF lines times 2, that's $75 each time I have a leak from trying to use the old o-rings. I may be able to afford that once, but not 10 or 20 times. That's why I'm trying to figure out the materials used, so I can buy just the o-rings used in the OEM kits. Or use something that is better. Typically, o-rings are only about $.05 to $.30 each depending on size and material.

So, here's what I have so far for color, suspected material, and size:

Injectors: burnt orange or brown inside manifold / black at rail
(fluorosilicone / neoprene or viton; 5/16" x 9/16" - dash size 203)

Pressure regulator: black (neoprene or viton; dash 203)

Gas quick-connects: burnt orange or red
(silicone, viton, flurosilicone, neoprene; 5/16" x 7/16" - dash 11)

ATF cooling lines: color ??? not sure
(silicone, viton, flurosilicone, neoprene; 3/8" x 1/2" - dash 12)

So, what's the color of the o-rings in the OEM ATF cooling line quick-connect kit? Anyone bought a kit lately?

Thanks for everyone's feedback. -Rick

Back