• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheels for 1988 XJ-Laredo

discokid

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The stock wheels are trashed and I'd like to know if the ECCO Cast Aluminum wheels that come with the new Wrangler will fit. They are the both 15 x 7, with 5-4.5" lugs. But nowhere do any dealer or other sites say definitively that ANY15x7 ecco stlye will fit. The new Ecco replaced the Grizzly stlye wheels of the TJ back in 2002 - a wheel that appears to fit all Cherokees. Can someone give me more information? Thank you for your help.

Welcome DiscoKid. Yes, the Eccos will fit. I had a set on my 89, and transferred them to my 'new' 96. They are the same backspacing as all the 7" wide Cherokee rims, and came stock on some late model Cherokees.

They are very nice rims, in my opinion, very light and strong, and look good to boot.....

Disco, you're looking for locking lug nuts? The best you can buy are "McGard" brand. I've used them in the past, and they are indestructable. They have a key that's unique to the lugs, that fits in the lug wrench and is inserted into the lug end.

www.summitracing.com sells them for 21.95 per set, and any good autoparts store will also carry them.

FYI, the Eccos came in two 'colors', silver and a darker silver gray. The silver gray seems to be more popular and are harder to find. The wheels weigh 19.5# each, which is considerably lighter than steel wheels. I could tell a difference in ride, handling, and braking, after replacing the steelies on my XJ with Eccos.

ROE

Re: Tires and Lug Nuts for 1988 XJ-Laredo

Hello all - I just purchased some 15"-Grizzly wheels for my '88 Jeep cherokee. The stock wheels on the truck are trashed and some of the lug nuts are missing and some are mismatched (like with washing machine nuts and lockwashers). I have 2 inquiries:
1. I've done the research on tires and like the Yokohama Geolandar AT+ II series for traction and the Michelin Cross Terrain (ratings not as high as the Yoko's) for ride comfort. I do not plan to do off-roading at this time. Does anyone have experience with these tires?
2. What are the size of the lug nuts and are there some really sharp ones out there (source?) that are one-piece (not steel and tin plated) that match the dark grey alluminum of the grizzly wheels? Here's a link to see what the wheels look like: (copy + paste into your Browser address bar)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...4740&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT#ebayphotohosting

This forum has been great. I can't believe the amount of help I've received, being an inexperienced Jeep owner. Thanks all again.

Back