• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6" lift with RE drops or not?

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
I am planning to raise the front to 6" total, my ???...

I have 4.5" springs and want to add a poly spacer, I bought some non adjustable RE LCA's and UCA's, but they are too short for that much lift.

Should I lengthen the Arms to length I need...Or run the RE drop brackets?

Advantages/Disadvantages of running RE drop brackets?

At 6" there are no disadvantages to running the brackets and braces, both on and offroad. Simple as that; you will need them!

That's pretty much what I firgured. Thanks.

Now...How far do they drop the holes down?

I'm thinking I'll make my own drop brackets.

BTW...sweet Jeep!

Wolz said:
At 6" there are no disadvantages to running the brackets and braces, both on and offroad. Simple as that; you will need them!
Not necessarily. I got about 6" of lift (if not a hair more) and I don't need them. Yeah it doesn't ride like Caddy but it's not bad either.

I'm at ~6" now and run DB's. I was at ~3.5" and ran without DB's and the ride was horrid on the road....every bump was bone jarring. Once the DB's were installed it was like riding in a stock rig. I'm running RE super ride fixed uppers and lowers and the setup is virtually perfect. The DB's drop the mounting point about three inches and move it forward about 1/2 inch. It's not a long arm setup but the next best thing in my opinion. The only drawback to DB's is the potential to hit them on obstacles but honestly, it hasn't been a problem since going higher....which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
JohnX said:
I'm thinking I'll make my own drop brackets.
might wanna think twice about that one. if you look at them in person you will see what i mean. they would be pretty tough to do unless youve got some pretty advanced fabrication skills.

I ran 5.5 without DB and it was a scary ride, now I am at 6.75" with DB and love the ride. you can get away without using them at 6 or over, but my personal opinion is spend the money and enjoy the ride..

well

at 6" with the d30 and short arms in the stock location, it sounded like a huge piece of slaming metal into my jeep and felt like that too whenever i hit a bump in the road...

since raising my axle end mounts 2.5" with the d44, even with my procrap es300's that are 4" to short, it rides rediculusly smooth comparatively....

One disadvantage of the DB's is the loss of clearance, and another is the increased leverage on the frame side to side while flexing...

i too thought about making my own DB's, then while i at RE with a friend in Rancho Cordova, asked to look at their units, and i would have to invest in quite a few more tools before i could do that - their DB's are worth the coin they want for them.

here is some more discussion as to why people with over 3.5" lift complain of crappy ride without DB's or LA's...
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

hope this is helpful..

-Opie

I am running RE 4.5" with 2" spacer, RE adj. UCA's (the fixed were too short)and RE fixed LCA's. I don't have the DB, I wish I did, the ride is rough,.... but not that bad. I will buy them someday, but the ride is not bad enough to get them right now.

how much are the drop brackets? i honestly don't know. if they're $$$, wouldn't it just make more sense to spend a little more and get long arms instead? especially if you're at 6+"...

Dookie said:
how much are the drop brackets? i honestly don't know. if they're $$$, wouldn't it just make more sense to spend a little more and get long arms instead? especially if you're at 6+"...

I found mine in used, nice condition for $75 and then added my own braces. Deals can be found out there.

Back