• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Question

DrCabe

NAXJA Forum User
I am an insurance adjuster getting ready to head towards the gulf coast. I know it's going to be a mess wherever I end up so I'd rather pull a trailer with my 2001 Sport instead of my 2004 Avalanche. I know my AV is the obvious choice but if I'm going to tear up a vehicle I'd rather it be my Jeep.

The average towing weight of the trailers I'm looking at is around 3000-3500lbs. Can my Cherokee handle this? If the trailer has a brake will that make things easier? I don't care how long it takes me to get there as long as its relatively safe.

thanks

DC

Anyone know of a pop up camper or travel trailer in the DFW for sale?

look on the inside of the driver's door. there's a sticker that tells you the towing capacity of your rig i think it's like 5900 lbs don't quote that though check for yourself. the sticker with the VIN and weight info

The XJ with automatic is rated to tow 5000 pounds -- IF equipped with tranny cooler, heavy-duty cooling, trailer brakes, and load equalizing hitch.

Personally, I'd take the Avalanche. You can buy another one of them. They don't make Cherokees any more.

I towed about 4500 lb uhaul 6x12 equipped with surge brakes for 450 miles, and I had absolutley no problem pulling it, or stopping it. If you take it slow, and your XJ IS EQUIPPED with a Transmission cooler and Class III hitch, you should be just fine. I was anyway. I don't know what to say about towing without trailer brakes, but I wouldn't suggest it.

PS A Cherokee with a Class III hitch and 4.0HO/AW4 and Tranny cooler is rated to 5000 pounds towing capacity, this is directly from the owners manual, anything else is innacurate, or flat out untrue.

Back