• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie help - converting 2wd 95 cherokee to 4wd

bluestang50

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pretty new to jeeps and don't know too much about them. I'm more into speed i actually have a built 347 stoker fox body mustang. Anyways my friend has a 2wd 1995 Cherokee with the inline six. It already has a three inch suspension lift and some wheels and tires. We are going to convert it from 2wd to 4wd. What all am i going to need to pull this conversion off? I know i will need a transfer case, entire front axle assembly, and im guessing a new drive shaft for the rear (i say this becuase im guessing the distance will be shorter with the transfer case on the back of the transmission) and one for the front. What else will i need to pull this off? Will any front suspension pieces need to be changed? Will i need a different computer for eletrical connections to the transfer case? Also where might i be able to find all of these parts for a good price. I have found a transfer case, front axle assembly, and driveshafts at a local junkyard for 650. Keep in mind we arent going to do any extreme offroading just some fun on the weekends. Any help i would greatly appreciate.

Nathan

You've got a good start to your parts list for this conversion.
You'll also need:
- a transmission from a 4wd cherokee,
- a T-case shifter assembly and bezel + hardware
- all the hardware for the front Driveshaft

I'm sure there's some more stuff you'll need but thats all i can think of for now.

And at the price you're being quoted for the parts, i'd look into buying a rolled or blown engine 4wd rig and swapping over parts and selling off whats left for what you paid for the rig.

i would never in a million years consider converting a '95. the cost and labor alone is going to be more than the rig is worth. selling it and buying a 4x4 would seem to make a hell of a lot more sense. especially if it is just for "fun on the weekends."

just my $0.02

It all depends on if you have a good u-pull yard around you or not. At the one I go to, all front ends are $120, t-cases are $50, driveshaft $12, transmission $70. You're only looking at 264 bucks. And, if everything looks like it's going toward one project, you usually get a discount too. So, as long as you know where to look, you can do it pretty damn cheap.

St3mpy said:
It all depends on if you have a good u-pull yard around you or not. At the one I go to, all front ends are $120, t-cases are $50, driveshaft $12, transmission $70. You're only looking at 264 bucks. And, if everything looks like it's going toward one project, you usually get a discount too. So, as long as you know where to look, you can do it pretty damn cheap.

if you can convert a 2wd to a 4wd for $264, i'll give you my jeep.

washington. build it for $264 and come and get it!

Dookie said:
i would never in a million years consider converting a '95. the cost and labor alone is going to be more than the rig is worth. selling it and buying a 4x4 would seem to make a hell of a lot more sense. especially if it is just for "fun on the weekends."

just my $0.02

I believe they will be doing their own labor, (probably for fun) so no cost other than their time there. If they find the right deal they should be able to pull this off for around $350-$500. I seriously doubt they would get a working 4x4 model even in the same model year for only that much.

It's not like you can go to the dealer and trade a '95 2wd in because they'll rob you in trade in value. I could see it now, "we'll give you $1000 in trade for your '95 and that 2000 cherokee will be $8000 resulting in a $7K note for 3 years. Mom and pop dealers usually don't take trade-ins, leaving you to finance the replacement vehicle until you sell your own privately.

I'm taking a complete guess here but, someone who is asking about conversion probably doesn't have or want to spend more money on replacing the entire vehicle.

Mark

St3mpy said:
Poopy. :bawl:

a little too far to drive! :heart:

i hear what you're saying - but i'm just thinking that all the "extra" little stuff would start to add up quick...

XJMark said:
I'm taking a complete guess here but, someone who is asking about conversion probably doesn't have or want to spend more money on replacing the entire vehicle.

Mark

that's a really good point! :lecture:

I will be doing all the work for him for free and teaching him as i go along. Replacing his jeep wouldn't be an option he has a good bit invested in it and it is really nice for the year. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Im assuming that you are in lawrenceville, GA. PM me if you need any help and i will give you my phone#. i did this swap on mine.

I've converted my 94 to 4WD this spring.

Bought 87 XJ donor with blown motor for $120
Sold parts off that I did not need for -$90
Junk Yard charge to haul off $20
______
Total cost for parts $50
Basement full of parts I'll never use Priceless

Replaced front and Rear D44 axles installed 3 inch lift, swapped Auto transmission and transfercase due to trans output shaft being different. Rear drive shaft is shorter. Crossmenber and rear mount are the same. Connectors on Transmission where the same. I did one part at a time in case I induced a vibration.
1.) Trans first
2.) Rear end swap
3.) Rear end lift
4.) Front axle/lift

If you need any other info PM me.

I've converted a 92 2wd inline 6 cherokee to 4wd. The whole rig cost me $750 and the guy gave me everything to i needed to make it 4wd. It was even wrecked in the front end and i was given all those parts as well to fix it, just had to buy a radiator.

Back