• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack Mounts

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im looking to soon fab up my own roof rack, but im stuck on one detail, how to mount it to my roof without drilling through the roof itself. Do aftermarket ski rack mounts work? I have factory roof racks if that matters. Any suggestions?

Looks like a Thule knock off, but does it let you put locks on it? Just a thought...Might be important! Plus if you get Yakima or Thule, you can add locks later and still use one key.

I'm pretty sure there's 3-5 factory holes for the factory rack. Take the rack off and see what you can work with, let me know-I'm on the same project. I need a place to my full-size spare... I like the roof idea a lot- I'm not too concerned about top-clearance. The spare takes up a lot of cargo room.

98XJSport said:
Im looking to soon fab up my own roof rack, but im stuck on one detail, how to mount it to my roof without drilling through the roof itself. Do aftermarket ski rack mounts work? I have factory roof racks if that matters. Any suggestions?
Why not drill? Drill out stock nutzerts, use bigger nutzerts and then attach to it. If you do things right it will be just as water proof if not more than originally.

Kejtar said:
Why not drill? Drill out stock nutzerts, use bigger nutzerts and then attach to it. If you do things right it will be just as water proof if not more than originally.

im not sure what this means
got any pics or a little more detail
nutzerts on the roof?
would this entail removing the headliner?

Back