• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

top engine noise

XgeekstarX

NAXJA Forum User
here lately when i shut the jeep off i can hear a sort of ticking/knocking coming from the top of the motor towards the back. it will make the noise for a minute or two and then slowly calm down and stop. does anyone know what might be the problem?

i'm considering new springs/lifters/pushrods.

XgeekstarX said:
here lately when i shut the jeep off i can hear a sort of ticking/knocking coming from the top of the motor towards the back. it will make the noise for a minute or two and then slowly calm down and stop. does anyone know what might be the problem?

i'm considering new springs/lifters/pushrods.

Oil is dripping back into the oil pan.

After you shut the motor off the springs/lifters/pushrods are not moving, so they can't be making the noise. I second the oil dripping back. It could also be the exhaust manifold and other hot engine parts cooling down and contracting. Just a guess, but this *could* be made worse by loose manifold bolts.

XgeekstarX said:
it's pretty loud for it to be oil though. it makes sense, but it's a pretty serious tick. plus it never did it before.

Hmmmm..........what do you mean by pretty loud? Can you compare it to something that is similar decibles? Do you have to be near the vehicle to hear, like within 10 feet? I get a similar noise if the engine gets hot and is on for awhile when I shut it off. If the oil is still rather thick then I don't hear anything. The oil if this is what is could also be diluted. We'll figure this out. :wave:

Have you changed your intake or exhaust manifolds lately? If there touching somewhere the expansion/contraction can cause a loud ticking noise while cooling that will eventually slow down until it stops.
I had this problem before.

K

That ticking noise that you hear for the first minute or so after you shut down the engine when it's hot is the sound of hot metal parts cooling down and contracting. You might also hear the oil draining back into the sump. It's all normal so don't worry about it.

Back