• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank SKid beef

The stock OEM gas tank skid is a very decent skid plate. If you want more strength to it you can reinforce it however you want, Just add the strength to the outside not the inside (or it will not go back on the jeep).

Michael

I think fatwreck reinforced his with some plate or angle iron.

After seeing a buddy's XJ get disabled when the point of a boulder pushed his OEM gts into his tank (which in turn blocked the fuel pickup), I promptly replaced my OEM skid with one from Skid Row.

hs17.jpg

barillms said:
Is there any way to "Beef up" the stock gas tank skid? By welding pieces onto it? What aftermarket gas tank skid is best bang for the buck?

This one 70.00 less than skidrow shipped normally and about 100.00 less until fall fling because of free shipping.

Debris can be cleaned out with a hose. unlike the skid row which traps the debris in anything larger that 3/8" gets trapped. can cause holes to wear in the gas tank.

The rockwerks skid also allows use of the stock fuel tank heat shield on the 97 and up. (keeping your warranty intact)

winch_007_op_800x533.jpg

winch_009_op_800x600.jpg

PM me for the special on free shipping until NAXJA MOAB fall fling 179.00 total

I actually sold out this last week but have a bunch more being delivered to finish this Friday.

Brian (XJNation) has a great skids. I got his t-case and gas tank skid and they are plenty beefy. Nice low price as well for what you get. Now I just hope to get out and hit the Rubicon and/or Fordyce to try them out. :laugh3:

Troy

If someone could chime in with the link, there is a stout way
to utilize the receiver hitch to weld plate to over your existing
factory skid. This used diamond plate welded to receiver that
followed the curve of the factory skid. Tack plate in position,
remove hitch, weld both sides, paint, and install.

I have welded some to the stock skid for beef. I got the idea from someone else here but I don't remember who now.
I have welded some angle iron to the front and back radiused bends of the skid plate and am going to weld some smaller angle iron along the mounting strap indents to connect the previously welded pieces together for more support. Sorry no pic's yet.

Did they change the stock gas tank skid design in 97+ models? The one I have on my 98 looks alot beefier compared to the ones you guys are denting in.

There are two versions for the '97 up models... one is based on the ZJ skid and is beefier IMO than the other one, which more closely resembles the earlier XJ design.

Lawn Cher' said:
There are two versions for the '97 up models... one is based on the ZJ skid and is beefier IMO than the other one, which more closely resembles the earlier XJ design.

Guess I lucked out :wave:

My Jeep is an '85, I'm not sure of the sturdiness of it. I dropped off a decent rock last Sunday and got a good slam on the drivers side back corner of my stock skid. It's not bad, but I'd like to reinforce it a little instead of gushing gas.

barillms said:
My Jeep is an '85, I'm not sure of the sturdiness of it. I dropped off a decent rock last Sunday and got a good slam on the drivers side back corner of my stock skid. It's not bad, but I'd like to reinforce it a little instead of gushing gas.

the main difference between a stock skid and an aftermarket skid is we use the aftermarket skid as a tool to push up and over to change a line on a trail etc. The stock unit will not hold up to that kinda of abuse

Back