• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

linkage noise?

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
ok so a while back i did a 2x4 to 4x4 conversion on my xj, i had some trouble finding a body side t-case reversing bar bracket, so i made my own..everything went well but i broke off a u-joint strap bolt in the yoke and haven't been able to put in the front DS because of it..went to put it in the other day and went for a drive....now i cant get it into 4lo and i also get a really obnoxious squeek when i am driving i literally have to hold the shift linkage handle to stop the squeek...any ideas why and what i need to do..i have fiddled with the linkage bar lengths and still cant get it to go away....

Maier

Without hearing the squeek I'd have to guess that you need to adjust the tcase linkage.

Btw, which direction do you have to hold the lever in?

i actually have to pull the lever back from 2hi back towards 4hi to get it to stop...i only get the noise when i put it in gear and start moving..i have laid under there and tried wiggling everything...if i take the screw out of the linkage arm and then tighten it down down at full extension there is no sound but i cant even get it from 2hi to 4hi...

i am in the process of adjusting the tc linkage..cuz i cant get it to fully engage 4lo...but i have it snapping pretty firmly into 2hi/4hi and N (at the moment)...when i play with the lengths i either lose 2hi and 4lo..

i am wondering if my homemade body side linkage mount if the problem..

thanx..
Maier

Grifter144 said:
i had some trouble finding a body side t-case reversing bar bracket, so i made my own..

:roflmao: Is that what that thing is really called?? If that turns out to be the problem and you want an OEM one, lemme know. I can scrounge one from the 'yard and get it to ya. I might even have one in my leftover "box o' crap" from my conversion.
Jeff

hey jeff,
i went to the local jeep stealership and their parts guy couldn't even tell me what it was really called and they wanted 50bucks for that thin piece of aluminum..so that mine is what i called it...a heck..i'll just pm you...
Maier

Back