• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing this wench

ang31-0f-d347h

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone help me...
On where to mount this stuff.. exactly how it needs to be hooked up.
pics explain the situation :
wench1.JPG

wench2.JPG

cables1.JPG

cables2.JPG

randombox.JPG

Looks like an older Ramsey 8.5.
Not difficult. First I would suggest contacting Ramsey in Tulsa, OK for an owners manual.
The winch will need to be mounted to a correctly sized mounting frame - winch bumper or portable winch support.
The black box is the control box and the two short black wires from that box bolt onto the screw studs on the motor side of the winch. The two longer wires from the controller box - one black and one red - go to the battery (jeep battery - hooked-up to positive and negative terminals - red=positive, blakc=negative).
The controller box can be mounted on the winch motor or other close proximity to the winch on the mounting bumper. I used heavy zip-ties and mounted on the winch motor. I comes from the factory with a stainless large hose clamp.
The contol switch - cable with push buttons on both sides - plugs into the controller box - only goes one way.

It is not hard to wire. You must mount the winch correctly - four grade 5 or better bolts into the feet of the winch. MUST be torqued tight - again call Ramsey. MUST be mounted to a strong mount.

Additionally, looking again.
It llike you have a wired "quick disconnter". This a wired plug between the battery and the winch contol box. It is the blue plug and wires in the picture. This allows you to wire the winch and then plug it in and out - energizing the winch. Nice feature if your winch is mounted to a portable mount (which it likes like it might be), not necessary if you permanent mount.

Yeah thats where my brains comes in... thats a powerpull... going to be in the front and rear of the car so I can move wench front to back... also I have jumper cables that mount to that... so i can jump myself (yes I have two batteries and two alternators) That mount is for that wench. I have grade a bolts with nylon in the (whatever so it stays closed) along with locking washers. And its pretty damn tight. When I take it to the mechanic im going to have him hit it with an impact.

hmm... ok thanks... I do have some heavy duty zip ties.

It's WINCH, not wench.

Grade "a" bolts? you want grade "5" or better.

The bolts should be torqued (with a torque wrench not a impact gun).

Do you still have questions about the wiring? Or do you have that all now?

Michael

haha the rope doesnt hold it on. Its a tow rope. one thats been through hell at that. its there because winch abviously isnt working right now.

ang31-0f-d347h said:
any one que some nice pictures of some nice setups?

HUH?

Read the link Mark gave you....bolt it on as suggested.

What additional information do you need? Help us, help you.

I was only kidding about the rope...the rubber bungie would be much more fitting. :D

Rev

Lets get this out in the open:

That rope is NOT a suitable tow rope!!

Before you get the winch working you need to make sure that the mount and cradle that it is in is in SAFE working order (right size bolts, right attachment to the frame, support, etc)!!

And the links above can help you best with the wiring diagram if you have not sorted that out already with the information listed.

If any of this does not make sense to you, PLEASE call your friendly mechanic and make sure that he looks over your entire set up.

People do get killed useing unsafe winching equipment and tecniques, Just want to make sure it is safe before you use it!!!!

Michael

As for the rope in the picture, it appears to have spliced eyes and about 1" diameter, and if in good condition would be a SUITABLE tow rope, there is a huge difference between a TOW rope and a RECOVERY ROPE/STRAP, hell for all we know it could and may even possible be a KERR.....................

Back