• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case fighting w/ crossmember

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
I tried a search and every post was about the t-case linkage rattling on newer models. I have an 87 4.0 nv242 and the t-case rattles pretty violently against the cross member at start and does it intermintently thoughout the drive, mostly when doing turns to the right or when truck is leaning to the left. I'm not sure how many models had 2 xmembers with the 242 but mine does and the tcase doesn't seem to like the smaller one that its leaning on cause it bats at it all day long. It has progressivly gotten worse thoughout my daily driving and weekly wheelen. The jeep is still stock w/ a 2" coil spacer for now so I know it can't have anything to do w/ the slipping yoke for that problem should be neglagent untill lifted. Hopefully its not anything inturnal, would a worn t-case chain create such a problem? Any imput would be apreciated:)

Mike1331 said:
I tried a search and every post was about the t-case linkage rattling on newer models. I have an 87 4.0 nv242 and the t-case rattles pretty violently against the cross member at start and does it intermintently thoughout the drive, mostly when doing turns to the right or when truck is leaning to the left. I'm not sure how many models had 2 xmembers with the 242 but mine does and the tcase doesn't seem to like the smaller one that its leaning on cause it bats at it all day long. It has progressivly gotten worse thoughout my daily driving and weekly wheelen. The jeep is still stock w/ a 2" coil spacer for now so I know it can't have anything to do w/ the slipping yoke for that problem should be neglagent untill lifted. Hopefully its not anything inturnal, would a worn t-case chain create such a problem? Any imput would be apreciated:)

the tcase rattles against the crossmember?? Sounds like a worn tranny mount.

Mike1331 said:
yes it hits the xmember the motor and tranny mounts were replaced about a year ago.
If it hits the crossmember then the tranny mount is either really worn by now (even if it's only a year old) or it's torn and sagged.

Back