• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnecting front driveshaft any probs?

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
Guys:

I do not know where my previous post went, I must be going crazy but anyways here is the deal:

I need to replace the u-joints on my front drive shaft... problem is shortage of time... i can only spare an hour here and there... is it possible for me to disconect the front drive shaft from the x-fer case (a NP242) to the front dana 30 and drive around with it disconneced? obviously i would not have my 4wheel drive... but that would allow me to take the shaft up to my appt and press out the u joints over several days....

Thanx

wilcharl said:
Guys:

I do not know where my previous post went, I must be going crazy but anyways here is the deal:

I need to replace the u-joints on my front drive shaft... problem is shortage of time... i can only spare an hour here and there... is it possible for me to disconect the front drive shaft from the x-fer case (a NP242) to the front dana 30 and drive around with it disconneced? obviously i would not have my 4wheel drive... but that would allow me to take the shaft up to my appt and press out the u joints over several days....

Thanx
Hard to understand what you wrote but if you are asking can you drive around without your front DS in the rig the answer is yes..

Thats the question ... sorry for the confusion in the message... its been a long last couple of days.... but the basic question is can i remove the front drive shaft and continue to drive the XJ with it removed? any shimmy problems or issues or anyhting....

wilcharl said:
Thats the question ... sorry for the confusion in the message... its been a long last couple of days.... but the basic question is can i remove the front drive shaft and continue to drive the XJ with it removed? any shimmy problems or issues or anyhting....

no problems at all my ladies XJ has been without the front DS for about 2000 miles now

Its comming off tommorw and comming inside for rebuild it wont save me any gas mileage will it??

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Back