• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have heard that the flares can be

JT_Law

NAXJA Forum User
restored on a 98 by rubbing in brake fluid......

If anyone has tried that, how long did it last?

If it's only a week or 2 then I think I'm off for some krylon and UV protectant

Do Not Do That...bad Idea... Forget That Thought.. It Works Once And Then It Gives Them A Marbled Look And There Still Faded So It Up To You.. But I Learned My Lesson A Long Time Ago And It Cost Me...now if you wanna go that way krylon does make plastic paint just use soapy water and dry them very good...

01 Xj 5.5 And The Skys The Limit...

Definitely sounds like a *bad* idea. I haven't found any way that works permanently short of painting. I've heard that some people have had great results with Krylon Fusion paint for bumpers & trim. Supposedly, it chemically bonds to the plastic. I have a cavalier that I just may try this on (bumpers).

There is 2 things you can do to them. First is get some Back to Black from a parts house. Rub it in, let it sit and go over it again with some more B2B. The other thing is take a heat gun along them. Be careful not to melt them. The heat gun works really good. Last about 4 months or so.

Forget all the dye's and shoe polish, and back to black armor all type stuff.
First wash em up really good with just soap and water. Then make sure they are 100% dry. Then take a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch and go over them with that. Keep it about 2 inches out and go back and forth in steady strokes. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. This is the only thing proven 100% to get them back to original.
You are burning out years of carwash soap, wax, armor all type stuff, hardwater stains, and anything else that gets in there.
This works, I've done it myself and I love it.

leadfoot77 said:
...01 Xj 5.5 And The Skys The Limit...
just a funny thought....if you're talking about 5.5" and for future lifts, the sky's the limits...I just thought, no, overpasses, drive-thru's and tree branches are kinda the limit.
anyway, JT Law--don't do back to black it lasts about 2 days. Anything else like that is just a quick polish that doesn't last any longer than putting windex on your windows to keep them clean. The burning idea works..fire is good =D

It works fine on textured plastic. Just don't leave it in one spot, you have to keep moving it around, or you will melt the plastic. It does work on endcaps as well.

That "back to black" is one of the best $4.50 I have ever spent. Since were on the subject and I just washed & waxed today, I also really like the Eagle 1 nano-wax and the Meguiars "Natural Shine" for vinyl & rubber... The latter product I mentioned is a thick paste and definetly an improvement over the milky stuff.

I have used the tourch on a couple cherokees, a jetta, aries, toyota, chevy, and it works wonders on every car that I have used it on and it lasts. just don't melt it, I did on my jetta and it was bad. I was also intoxicated in the dark at the time, beer and fire don't mix all that well.

Does the torch thing work on colored plastic too? Like my XJ Larado's grey/silver flares.
I test spayed a section of flare with Wal-Mart cheap flat black about 9 months ago and it still looks fine, much beeter than the oxidized grey/raw plastic look they have now. I'll have to check out that Krylon paint too.

Mr. Clean

"Mr. Clean Magic Eraser", sold in any blank-mart type store for a buck or 2. Get it wet, wring it out, scrub till you're bored. Lasts MUCH longer than mothers back to black, and less scary than painting or torch.
JamesBond

Re: Mr. Clean

JamesBond said:
"Mr. Clean Magic Eraser", sold in any blank-mart type store for a buck or 2. Get it wet, wring it out, scrub till you're bored. Lasts MUCH longer than mothers back to black, and less scary than painting or torch.
JamesBond

Those *may* work for newer stuff, but I tried it on some 95 trim after seeing this same info on the net and it did NOTHING for mine :(

"Restora" is sold in paint stores; it restores color and appearance on vinyl shutters and house trim it is a permanent fix. You paint it on and let it dry (it turns white). You then wash off white and underneath is a like new finish that lasts as long as the orignal

Back