• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine splash guards??

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
Are those guards under the engine a splash guard? Mine are the factory ones and are starting to fall off. Is it necessary? :confused:
ThanX

Most if not all people just get rid of them anyway and don't replace them. The biggest draw back of the splash guard is that it keeps heat in the engine bay, which can kill you on a trail ride or in traffic on a hot as he!! day.

Taking mine off has cost me two alternators so far. As soon as I repair the tear in it, it's going back on. The alternator doesn't fair well in a mud bath. I'd keep it if I were you.

Matt...depending on your year you might be able to get a new one from the dealer. I tried to get one for my '89 but they've been discontinued...:( You could go hunting in fabric stores and the like for a similar material and cut your own. Leather is one idea, it won't rot out as quickly either! (Just give yourself room for shrinkage...of the leather I mean :))

If the alternator is the only thing that needs protection I think I'll just "fab" some kind of aluminum splash shield for the area around the alternator and call it a day.

Mine self destructed when I took my mopar skid plate off. Apparently the bolts for the skidplate hold it in place, and during a turn it hung down far enough to get caught by the tire.

For those who may be wondering..... I took the skid off because I was going to be doing front-end work the following weekend. That thing is nothing but in the way for getting to anything down there, i.e. the pitman arm tie rod end, track-bar mount, etc. I'll probably replace it after I put my lift on.

Mark

I just took mine off tonight, it was rotting to hell and tearing all over. I don't mud very often so I think I should be fine, but if anything I'll make a cover for the alternator or put a new splash guard on.

Mudd Flap

I took mine off because it was 85% gone already,then I pulled the insulation off the inside the hood,then I changed to the open cooling system....

Back