• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE or JKS

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Anyone have experience with both rear shackles? I've got Currie springs, pushing my shackle into the "frame." So I'll need a boomerang shackle of some sort, and would like as little extra lift as possible! I think the JKS advertises only 1 inch, as opposed to the RE 1.5 inches.
Thanks!

I bought the JKS rear shackles to level out my ride after I put a 3 inch lift on. I would say it definately gives you an inch. I like them, they appear to be well made and are greasable. Don' t know about RE. Sorry.

both good companys, but i would support JKS being as they are the small business and i enjoy supporting small businesses...

that and Mark Hinkley probably worked on them, and that makes me cream my pants :D

i actualy just bought a set of JKS for the boom-a-rang, to replace some revolvers, which i ended up loosing about an inch or so of lift, so since i swapped the revolvers out with some from a Tera BB shackles (on my DD) I will probably take off the JKS,
as the leaf springs weren't long enough to need the extra bend in the shackle.

Dano said:
i actualy just bought a set of JKS for the boom-a-rang, to replace some revolvers, which i ended up loosing about an inch or so of lift, so since i swapped the revolvers out with some from a Tera BB shackles (on my DD) I will probably take off the JKS,
as the leaf springs weren't long enough to need the extra bend in the shackle.
So, are you saying you may have a set of JKS boomerang shackles available this week? If so, shoot me a private message and lets work something out. I'm going to order the JKS tomorrow, unless I hear otherwise. If yours are available, I'll takem'!

so...if you put on a lift spring, are you putting on a spring that gets longer than the stock spring as it flattens out, thereby pushing the shackle into the back of the pocket and hitting the body? is this true or do spring companies typically manufacture the springs to be the same length (along the circumference) with more or less arch and therefore always the same length when flattened out?

if a lift spring is the same length (measure circumferentially) as a stock spring, the decreased eye-to-eye length at static height will pull the shackle forward and hence decrease the spring rate. because of that it seems that in this example the spring company uses a longer spring pack than the stock one. are there people out there using longer shackles that add lift springs later? in this case the shackle would move the spring eye very slightly forward (as it pivots around the front mount) and allow a little more uptravel. is that correct?

ideally it seems that all the aftermarket springs should flatten to be OEM length there would be no descrepanies in shackle fitement

thanks,
mike

PapaPump said:
so...if you put on a lift spring, are you putting on a spring that gets longer than the stock spring as it flattens out, thereby pushing the shackle into the back of the pocket and hitting the body? is this true or do spring companies typically manufacture the springs to be the same length (along the circumference) with more or less arch and therefore always the same length when flattened out?

if a lift spring is the same length (measure circumferentially) as a stock spring, the decreased eye-to-eye length at static height will pull the shackle forward and hence decrease the spring rate. because of that it seems that in this example the spring company uses a longer spring pack than the stock one. are there people out there using longer shackles that add lift springs later? in this case the shackle would move the spring eye very slightly forward (as it pivots around the front mount) and allow a little more uptravel. is that correct?

ideally it seems that all the aftermarket springs should flatten to be OEM length there would be no descrepanies in shackle fitement

thanks,
mike

Oy, you read into that way to much. Basically most lift springs measure the same as stock. So a standard type shackle works just fine. People add the aftermarket shackles for a little bit of lift and alot better flex. However, some companies such as Currie or Alcan sell springs that are slighty longer than stock. Because of this you need a dog leg type of shackle to clear the rear spring hanger box. In which case you would pick one up for JKS or whoever. Make sense?

yeah it does...i can understand why you would need a dogleg, i just wasn't sure what companies or if all of them made springs that were too long for that stock shackle. thanks.

From ChuckstrPT:
BINGO! Dude, you are Right on the Money! I finally took the plunge, and ordered up some Currie/Deaver springs. They came this week, and went on last night! The shackle is sitting against the "frame" so to speak. They are pushed way back. So...no compression in my rearsuspension until I get me some Boomerang shackle! Measured before and after, I got nearly exactly 3 inches as it sits. And, get this....no vibrations up to 65 so far! Go figure. I'm gonna but on those shackles, and it'll likely shake me apart! I'm very impressed with the leaf packs though. I think they may actually hold up for quite a few miles!
member #791

Back