• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Hub or..?

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ developed an unusual vibration that feels like it's coming from the front. This is felt, not so much heard......at least not over my Flowmaster. It's most noticable at low speeds (10 - 25 MPH) up to 35 MPH or so before road noise, effects of a lifted XJ, etc., drown it out. It feels sort of like the knobby part of a tire is rubbing against a fender flare, and the vibration lessens when I turn corners. I checked all steering components, which are good and driveshaft U-joints are good.

At this point I'm thinking maybe a bad hub, but not sure. Symptoms don't apprear to be consistent with a bad front pinion bearing. I'll check for hub play/grinding tomorrow when I have light. In the mean time what sort of symptoms does a bad hub give? Other ideas? Thanks.

a bad hub will give noticable noise difference from one side to the other. (while turning the wheel at speed) maybe pull the front d shaft and see what happens? weird...especially with it getting quiter on turns. does it make the noise on one turn and not the other??

Pull the wheel and the break caliper, rotate hub/ break disk. You should be able to hear or feel it if the hub bearings are bad.

Rev Den said:
Did you give the hub the "wiggle test"?

Are you sure nothing is rubbing the tire, fender liner...etc?

Rev
Yes. I lifted each side separately and did both a 12/6 o'clock and 3/9 o'clock "wiggle" test, and also spun each one listening for noise and binding. I also put the pry bar under each tire and lifted up to check the ball joints. I have too much lift for the tire to rub against anything.

I'll just stress that the vibration is most pronounced at low speeds (most noticable at 10-20 MPH). It feels as if I'm driving across a ribbed road. I'm going to recheck the basics.

jeepsrock said:
Ever find out what was the cause of this, i have something very similar happening.

pete
No, and seeing as how I'm about 10,000 miles away from my XJ, it'll be a while before I get to the bottom of the problem. :laugh3:

How aggressive are your tires? My BFG Mud/Terrains vibrate at around 10mph, and below. Just a thought.

xjbubba said:
How aggressive are your tires? My BFG Mud/Terrains vibrate at around 10mph, and below. Just a thought.
I run A/Ts. I know it's not the tires...at least not the tread. I did consider the possibility of a slipped belt, but never experience that before so it's a wild guess.

Motor or tranny mounts would be my first suspect, then check Ujoints.

Automatic? Torque convertor bolts.

Just a question, can the front drivehsfat ujoints actually cause any noise/vibes in 2wd mode. I have a94 xj with a non disco d30 in the front and i have the same noise, it feels as if i am running on those side paved areas on the highway with notches on them at around 45mph.

pete

With a "non-disco" front, your drive shaft is turning all the time, as is the front output shaft of your transfer case. An incorrectly aligned front shaft could certainly cause vibration. Remove the shaft and see if the "vibes" go away.

ball joints or hub, when mine made the sounds your describing hubs were my outcome, start with the shakedown your front end then check hubs .

Well my Ball Joints and hubs were replaced recently. I know that doesnt mean they cant be bad , but i guess less likely. I picked up 3 ujoints for my front driveshaft, i guess i will try that this weekend.

pete

Tom, i had the same symptoms twice. Both turned out to unit bearings.

First time it was on my 88 shortly after i bought it and took to a mechanic...he was unable to find the problem. Then i found the old "XJ Forum" and posted the problem and was advised to check the unit bearings which i did. The bearing felt tight till i removed it (off the axle shaft) and checked it in my hand. That's when i noticed the grabbing/drag in the bearing assembly.

Second time was my newer XJ, same symptoms so i pulled and checked with the same results.

I'v also had to replace ball joints in both, however they both had a different symptom, they would actually clunk when hitting a pothole etc.

One more idea...a loose shock bolt or worn bushing could also cause similar symptoms.

HTH..

John B said:
Tom, i had the same symptoms twice. Both turned out to unit bearings.

First time it was on my 88 shortly after i bought it and took to a mechanic...he was unable to find the problem. Then i found the old "XJ Forum" and posted the problem and was advised to check the unit bearings which i did. The bearing felt tight till i removed it (off the axle shaft) and checked it in my hand. That's when i noticed the grabbing/drag in the bearing assembly.

Second time was my newer XJ, same symptoms so i pulled and checked with the same results.

I'v also had to replace ball joints in both, however they both had a different symptom, they would actually clunk when hitting a pothole etc.

One more idea...a loose shock bolt or worn bushing could also cause similar symptoms.

HTH..
Hey John, long time no see on the forums. :wave:

Yeah, I plan to replace both hubs when I get back and take it from there. I hope that's the issue.

Beside the new vibration, the best way I can describe the other symptom is it feels like something is holding back my Jeep, like a slight power loss, along with a faint metal meshing or grinding, which is hardly detectable. As the owner I notice it. A friend of mine also noticed it, but he's really atuned to those sort of things. Also, when I coast down hills my Jeep actually loses speed (auto trans) on all but the very steep ones.

So once you removed the bearings that's when you noticed the grabbing/drag? After replacing them did you notice a difference (less drag) while driving? Thanks,
Tom

Back