• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about windows on a 2 door XJ.

Tallyjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I did a search, but could not find an answer. I hope that this subject hasn't already been hashed to death. I recently bought a 1990, two door XJ Sport. This is my thrid XJ, but my first two door. I was somewhat surprised to discover that both driver and passenger windows do not completely retract when rolled down. They both stop about 2 inched short of going all the way into the door. Is this the way they are from the factory, or is there something weird going on? If it is that way from the factory, is there a way to change it? Thanks in advance for any input!

John

I have 93 2-door. My windows go all the way into the door. I dont know if that can be changed or not, though.

Is your power or manual windows? My manual windows go all the way into the door. If they are power I do not have an answer for whether they are supposed to go all the way down or not.

wow, that's weird..

I have an '01 2dr (power) and they go all the way
somethings messed up because design wise, there's no reason for them not to go all the way down

Last edited:
Perhaps someone made a quick adjustment on the window slider. One of my windows guide cable (motor uses it to take the window up/down) broke because it was so old. So if you took the window all the way down, it would come off the cable and would be stuck. You had to manually push the window up so the cable was back in the motor. To fix this, I just put a small "leash" around the guide rod so that the window wouldn't go down all the way and fall off.

I have manual windows on my XJ. I haven't pulled the interior door panels off yet to see what is going on in there. I wanted to check here to get some feedback before I tackled a "problem" that might not exist in the first place. It seems to me that the windows should retract completely, so I'm going to pull the door panels later this week to find out what's happening (or not, as the case may be). Thanks again for all the responces!

Back