• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water leak??

Troutman

NAXJA Forum User
I get water leaking on the passanger side, inside the vehicle. It's not antifreeze so I know I don't have any leaking hoses. It dripps down off the duct work mainly when I turn to the left. It seems to happen when there's been heavy rain or I've had the A.C. running. Any ideas where it's coming from and what to do to stop it? The Mrs. isn't thrilled when the water dumps on her toes.

Thanks in advance

Jim

You've answered your own question - "When the AC is running." The evaporator (the part that makes the air cold) tends to collected condensed humidity during operation. As I recall, there is a drain in the plenum to allow this condensate to leave without going over anyone's feet (as I recall, it usually ends up in a small puddle just forward of the firewall on the ground, and on the passenger side.)

I wish I could tell you exactly where the outlet for this is, but I'm not sure myself. Still, if you can find it (it's probably a small hose,) take a bit of fairly stiff wire and poke the drain clear. Don't use a coathanger or anyting like that - it's too stiff. A bit of stranded electrical wire should serve nicely.

If that doesn't work, you're probably in for taking the dashboard apart to get to everything - so try the wire first!

5-90

Ok, the A.C. part was obvious for the condensation, any idea where rain water may be getting in from? I did poke a wire up the drain hole and got some water to leak out so hopefully that will take care of it pooling and dumping inside the vehicle, won't know for sure for a couple days.

Thanks

Jim

Rain ingress through the cowl vent just forward of the windscreen - which is where the ventilation system gets its air. It either has its own drain or drains through the HVAC plenum (I haven't checked,) so it could be part of the problem. Make sure there isn't another drain you need to worry about - and you can check with a hose down the cowl vent (not too much!) to make sure you got everything clear...

5-90

Back