• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbags

JT_Law

NAXJA Forum User
on a 98 is there a way to disable them for wheelin?

With the Chiltons saying to pull the negative cable till the capacitor discharges I suspect pulling the fuse may not do it but then I'm no electrician

JT_Law said:
on a 98 is there a way to disable them for wheelin?

With the Chiltons saying to pull the negative cable till the capacitor discharges I suspect pulling the fuse may not do it but then I'm no electrician

You don't need to disable them for wheeling as they do not engage under 30mph. Also it has to be a certain type of an impact in order for them to deploy.

Ask One ton's Mom about what speed the airbag will attack. She was not going 30mph when it came out.

2offroad said:
Ask One ton's Mom about what speed the airbag will attack. She was not going 30mph when it came out.
was it Gen I airbag? The newer airbag controllers (98 is one of them) will not deploy at slow speeds.

2offroad said:
Well then that explains it. On the newer XJ's the airbag controller is much more sophisticated and one of the safeguards built in is the cutoff that turns the airbags off at slow speeds. So in a 98, I wouldn't touch the system at all.

On the newest of XJs, The airbag will not deploy under "normal" wheeling conditions.
Even under "my" type of wheeling contitions, they will not deploy,
I hit a tree at winterfest hard enough to bend my 2 X 4" front bumper, and nothing happened.
Wheel it and forget abput it!

Back