• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear pattern/Opinions/PICS

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
im in the process of checking the gear pattern and was wondering what you guys thought about the gear pattern. you guys think i should add another shim, or leave it the way it is. thanks

b63imw.jpg

b63l77.jpg

Last edited:
backlash is set to 6, which will give it a little room when things loosen up. when tightening the pinion nut to crush the sleeve, it got a little too tight, and was showing 23 inch pounds, instead of 12-15. can i just loosen it to the correct setting or should i replace the crush sleeve. thanks

pattern looks ok. Bummer though you are going to have to replace the crush sleave. If you loosen it at all you will loose all preload. and if you try to re tighten it the crush sleave wont work properly a gear shop will prolly give you one if you ask nice or sell you one for like two bucks

I think the pattern is ok it's hard to tell with those pics, I can see the coast side of the gear but not real good on the drive side. it looks like you have more like 10 thousands by the pattern. What are you checking backlash with? and did you use the shims off your old pinion for the new one?

backlash is set to 6, i have a dial gauge from randy's ring and pinion. the shims from the old pinion were inbetween the bearing and the pinion so i used new shims going behind the bearing race. new bearing all around. there is a local store neare me i will just go get a new crush sleeve and finish tomorrow. thanks.

If you have the tool to press a bearing on and off you should use the shims off your old pinion that's kinda gear tech 101 the pinion should almost always be shimmed the same.

the shims are exactly the same thickness, i already measure that. putting the shims inbetween the bearing and pinion, vs behind the bearing race doesn't really matter. even jeep uses both methods.

etaniyani said:
backlash is set to 6, which will give it a little room when things loosen up. when tightening the pinion nut to crush the sleeve, it got a little too tight, and was showing 23 inch pounds, instead of 12-15. can i just loosen it to the correct setting or should i replace the crush sleeve. thanks

I thinkyou will get a better pattern when you get the crush sleve right//

side note to anyone doing this install
always get a second crush sleve justin case you dont have a shop down the street.. :exclamati

This pattern looks like the pinion is in way too deep to me. I would take .005 out from behind the race and run another pattern. How many gears have you guys setup before? I admit I have only done one set and will do the second set next week.

Last edited:
i have already done one jeep, and working on my jeep now. its just better to get some opinions on the pattern. it may be a little difficult to tell from the pics, but if anything, the pinion should be like 1 thousands of an inch deeper. but i decided to keep it the way it is, put it all together and test the pattern again. but i think its okay. thanks for the help.

if your setting up the gears use the old crush sleve with a 10 or 20 thou shim on it so you can crush it that little bit extra once you acheive the proper pattern then use the new sleve. and yea the pinion looks a little deep.

Ok from the pics the Pinion is too deep... I always press the old bearing off the old pinion and reuse that shim for a starting point. You can try to measure the thickness, but that doesn't account for the press fit of the bearing. Get a new crush sleeve and do not try to use the old one since its already been crushed. It looks like the 8.25 you are setting up, what gear ratio are you using? Try to get your backlash on the far side of the adjustment with bigger gears like 4.56:1 set the back lash at .008~.009". I hope this helps... I am by no means an expert at gears, just done a few installs....

If you got the gears from Randy's you can e-mail them a pic of your pattern and get their opinion on it.

Robert

Back