• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittant knocking

SoCalMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '89 MJ with a 4.0 and AT. It seems like every second or third time I start it the engine knocks or the valves are ticking like all get out. It sounds bad. If I stop and restart it usually it will go away. Could this be the CPS or a stuck lifter?

Well before you think of it being a mechanical problem which it can very be, i would take a look at some sensors.

Mainly the knock sensor and o2 sensor which could cause intermittant knocking, by running the engine to lean or rich. Also try switching gas companies.

Pete

I've noticed it often runs smooth at initial start up, then starts knocking as it warms up. I will look into the sensors.

Since I'm a total newbie, how do I tell if they're out of whack?

my 92 does the occasionally does the same thing. (Knocks and misses like it lost cyclinder) but the problem goes away if turn the engine off and restart.

Anybody know what causes this?

Back