• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a 1995 sport have questions about t-case

jlh

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of buying a 1995 sport. good deal with only 88000 miles. When I went to pick it up yesterday the owner came out and told me that they had others interested and looking at it. Well one of the lookers blew the t-case playing with the 4wd.

My question is the owner called and they are having a mechanic rebuild the t-case. Should I even bother with it or just keep looking? Also anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks

Joshua

Excellent idea about the QT but the story sounds fishy to me. Frankly, from a different approach, I don't see anything wrong with asking the seller where he's having the Jeep fixed. If he's not hiding anything he should be happy to tell you and then make your visit. I'd definitely ask the seller what the potential buyer was doing when this happened. For my money a properly rebuilt transfer case is better than one with 88,000 miles on it if nothing else was damaged during this incident.

Basicly what happened was I looked at it on Friday and made an offer. The seller called me on saturday to accept the offer and I was going to pick it up wednesday. In the mean time they let other people look at it to see if they could get more then I offered. One of the that people test drove it blew the t-case. Well I told the seller that it sounded like the t-case and I was not interested anymore and moved on. The seller called me today to say that they had it towed to thier mechanic and he confirmed that I was right the T-case was shot. He is now fixing it and going through it to see if it needs anything else. I told the seler that I would come and look at it again on monday.

I just wanted to know if you guys knew if there was anything else I should look at. The seller said that she would have all of the reciepts for the repairs.

Thanks

Joshua

I usually dont jump in on things like this... but that was pretty shady of the seller to let other people test drive the car after you were on your way to pick it up... That said, I would definetly look into who is fixing the t-case...atleast then you'll have an idea of what exactly they are doing to it. Last time I checked, you can find an entire used t-case for about the cost of the chain alone... Anyway... just my .02 cents about the seller... Good luck with it if you still buy it!

Justin

What kind of dealer is this new, used or tote the note If the try to go cheap they my be just puting a junk yard special with a fresh wash job in.

If I were you I'd look at getting another XJ. There are so many floating around used that you might be best off shopping around still. How much does this guy want by the way?

three words -

state surplus auction.

88 - 2000 jeep cherokees are constantly getting retired by the forest service and other departments.

I got a 95 se 5 spd in red with an airbag for 2700 bucks there. the automatics go for close to 4 grand - since hardly any soccer moms will drive a stick.

plus, surf green is a sweet color with little brown on it.

You didn't say wether or not you gave the guy a deposit to hold the Jeep for you. If you didn't, I don't see anything wrong with letting others view the vehicle. Around my (expensive) neck of the woods a rebuilt transfer case costs $500 in labor. The other thing to consider is that whoever broke the case may have just been the final straw on the camel's back because this Jeep has been driven very hard or abused. While I still hold a new transfer case is a good thing, 88K is a pretty young age for one to go bad under normal wear and tear.

Well the saga continues,

I got a call for the seller yesterday afternoon. She wanted to let me know that they are going to relist the jeep for $3200 since they were getting so many calls on it. Originally they were asking $2800 but it needed tires so I offered $2200. thye countered with $2400 and we agreed on $2300. Hey the seller did me a favor in the long run. I could have paid the $2300 and then been putting $500 into the t-case. oh well the search continues

In my neck of the woods that is still a great price if the Jeep is in good condition.

It was in fair shape but I do a lot by KBB. This is a second vehicle for me so I can wait. I just made an offer on a 95 ZJ with 80k so we will see. The only thing I don't like about this one os that it has been sitting awhile.

jlh said:
Well the saga continues,

I got a call for the seller yesterday afternoon. She wanted to let me know that they are going to relist the jeep for $3200 since they were getting so many calls on it. Originally they were asking $2800 but it needed tires so I offered $2200. thye countered with $2400 and we agreed on $2300. Hey the seller did me a favor in the long run. I could have paid the $2300 and then been putting $500 into the t-case. oh well the search continues
Are you really sure that the "Transfer Case" story even happened? Did you check this out completely or are you going on heresay?
This sounds WAY too fishy to me. Sounds like the owner found out too late that they weren't asking for enough $$ and concocted a story to raise the price.
Walk away, if you still can.

I wouldn't buy it. Not because of anything mechanically wrong with the vehicle. The price was good I believe and its a 5spd right which is kind of rare. However, they are dicking you around and it isin't worth dealing with people like this. You shouldn't be expected to pay anything over the asking price if you already agreed with them to buy it right?

If they call back, let them know how you feel.

Thanks Guys when the seller raised the price I told her no thanks. Probally for the best Since I found a 99 SE 2 door with only 72k miles. Going to look at it today. We'll see

Back