• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Windshield

The only trick I know to make a windshield leak would be to crack it...other than that I am stumped. :laugh3:

If you mean that you windshield already leaks, you would probably be best served to go to a glass shop and have it replaced. That would give me piece of mind, and is the route I would go.

NXJ said:
Any tricks ?

Most of the older (pre 97) XJ's I've seen with leaks was due to rust developing under the glue holding the windshield.

The proper fix would be to pull the glass, remove all sealant (fix rust if there is any) and reseal.

One work around I've done is to find the leak, pull the metal trim and fill will sealer. This will make it harder when you do have replace the windshield, but so it's worked for me (2 years +).

Hope this helps,
Kent

First make sure its your windshield. I wasted lots of time on my '85 sealing & resealing only to find it was a leak at the firewall in the engine compartment.
jlex.

Learn from me...I had a non-reputable company give me a good price on a windshield install. It leaked, they folded and I had to pay $75 to get it re-sealed. Then a new carpet ($200) and it's 2 mos. later and my interior is still 1/2 gutted. The bright side is a know how to tear my interior out now! Moral of the story, pay the pros to get it right the first time.

If you are going the cheap route, you can buy a special type of windshield silicone sealer that flows into the leaky areas around the window and seals it off. I went around my whole windshield with it. This has worked for me for about 6 months now, with no more leaking and no new leaks since I put it on. They sell it at AutoZone with the rest of the silicone sealants.

Thanks for the input - I really appreciate it. Silicone it is then ! This leak aint small either, once doing 90 in heavy rain - the water seriously poored through !

badedam9af.jpg

Maybe I should put some fishes in there :laugh3:

My glovebox looked like that on two occasions. Not that it is that important, but urethane sealant is actually the proper sealant to use with laminated glass. But for filling in some gaps it shouldn't be a problem. If you prep the areas to be caulked w/ denatured alcohol, you'll get a better seal.

Back