• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle body spacer

Not sure what difference they make, but I do have one on my 98. I had a throttle body spacer added on the same time I had my lower throttle body bored out to 60mm. Both things cost me around $100 total and did make a noticeable difference. The throttlebody bore had to be the most though beneficial and it only cost me $30 from a local machine shop. So I would encourage you to pursue that before the tb spacer.

thankx for your replies and i will see about boring mine straight through to 60mm to get rid of the taper in the bottom of the t body.A friend of mine happens to be a quality control inspector for a machine shop in miami that builds for the aerospace industry! :) :us:

New here,

I was looking into an AirAid spacer, but was wondering since the injectors are in the ports right next to the head on my '01 4.0.

I can understand the benefits of the swirling action if the injectors are on the throttle body. but not with this setup.
I contacted tech support at Airaid, they did not have any hard data on this year setup.

Anyway, the jeep seems to have sufficient power, would be nice to get an increase in efficiency though.

Bob

Only thing I gained was a nasty whistle when I wasted the money on mine.
x2 on the boring.

whistle is cool for the first day or two, later it will piss you off, if you will have to drive for an hour or two on the highway:p radios dont help, unless its really loud:)

I bought one for $20 on Ebay awhile back, and I didn't notice anything. Boring the TB is a MUCH better mod.

I have talked to lots of guys who have tried them and it seems that the guys who notice a difference are the 99+ owners. I have a theory on it. The newer equal length runners on the 99+ would, in theory, allow more air volume in the intake below the TB. The volume would be "equal" to all cylinders. The older non-equal length would not benefit from this.

Not a strong theory, just a theory. TB spacers were designed to benefit the TBI vehicles and not TB ones.

The only impact a TB spacer has is increasing the volumn of the intake manifold as well as raise the TB. Aerodynamically the "swirl" does nothing. It is a great gimmick with no measurable performance impact.

Now that being said I expect Dyno to come back with numbers!

99greenjeeper said:
none. I have the poweraid one and it doesn't give any noticable gain in ponies or mpg. It gives a nice whistle at high rpm but that is about it.

Dremel out the helix to kill the whistle.

Bob Hansen said:
I can understand the benefits of the swirling action if the injectors are on the throttle body. but not with this setup.

That is exactly right... at least the helix is the most complex part of the fabrication and likely 90% of the cost of a spacer.

My super-calibrated ass-dyno only gave the (modified) TB spacer like 1/4 - 1/2 HP at the MOST! It does something...just not so much.

thats a tasty morself of info to have... that'll definitely help lower the cost of my engine buildup.

now I've just gotta talk to the machinist down my road to see if he'll do that for me.

TheNerd said:
Dremel out the helix to kill the whistle.

ohh... that will hurt... and whats wrong with my whistling...? :D

yea ive heard bad things about the spacers but boring the tb will give you the most noticable amount of gain.

Back