• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-Bolt Exhaust Flange for Cat. Is there one avail?

8991XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I tried to put it all in the title. I have searched and seen that there does not seem to be a 4-bolt flange available for the cat except on direct fit cats.

My XJ has an aftermarket non-direct fit cat using the old flange and about 4-5 inches of the old cat inlet pipe. I'd rather replace this pipe and flange instead of buying a new direct fit cat. Any help would be appreciated, like maybe a used flange from a removed and trashed cat if a replacement flange is not available. Thanks.

Cut the flange and pipe off and reuse it - that's what I did.

Y'ask me, that's a really good place to have a bolted joint, and I don't know why people do away with it. Comes in handy when I have to do a clutch!

If there's no "stub" left, pay your local muffler shop $5 to weld one on for you.

5-90

Well I ordered the new direct fit cat and installed it an go the machine through inspection. So I'm legal again.

I also found the square flange shortly after ordering the cat. It is available from NAPA if anyone needs one.

Now I have many options on keeping a cat on my Jeep for years to come, the new one and the generic I removed that has less than 20K on it. Oh well, money weel spent? I don't know.

I just bought a new front pipe @ Kragen for $34.99 with all the neat bends and kinks AND the 4 bolt flange.
The Summit OEM cat I bought for $110.00 also had the 4 bolt and fir perfectly on my 89. The muffler even slipped right off and on...no cutting at all.

I got a direct fit cat for like 75 delivered after doing a froogle search for the Catco part. Fit fine. I am stuck on pepboyz hell here as there is no real competition here. Sure there are some others but they are a couple towns away.

I did see a nice modification to the stock system in a 96 XJ. Using a flange set, the owner insalled it at the end of the downpipe eliminating the square flange. From there he had a welded system to the rear which on his lifted machine he can drop just by undoing that three bolt flange system Nice setup.

Back