• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an aluminum roof rack?

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
Hi fellas, a guy I work with is more than willing to teach me how to tig weld aluminum, and since I work at an awning shop, there's more than enough one inch square aluminum tubing for me to make a roof rack with. My question is, since all the racks i've seen are steel, is there a reason for this? I'm looking for something strong enough to mount a 31" tire/wheel and perhaps a hi-lift on without worries.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. A friend of mine has (or had) all kinds of aluminum stuff on his jeep. Skids, bumpers, tire rack, etc. After you have it built just test it for strength before loading it up...

By the way, this thread should be in Modified Tech, and will probably be moved shortly...

The main reason you see most people talking about steel roof racks instead of aluminum is because most people don't have the equipment or skill to weld aluminum. If you have a TIG welder available, and someone who's willing to teach you, I'd say go for it. An aluminum rack can be just as strong and will be a lot lighter. Less weight way up high would be a good thing.

Aluminum can cost 2-3 times more than steel as well.

Carefull what wall thickness you use, I'd stick to around 11 gage, esp. if your
learning to weld on it.

I´ve bought an fullsize aluminum roof rack (from a company called Hannibal) and it´s pretty light for it´s size.

Just a pic I´ve found on the net:
hanna1.jpg

Aluminum will be fine. I have made a couple myself. Just make sure you coat it with something so the Alum. wont oxidize or cover your rig with black alum dust from items vibrating on it.

Detour said:
Aluminum can cost 2-3 times more than steel as well.

Carefull what wall thickness you use, I'd stick to around 11 gage, esp. if your
learning to weld on it.

x2

I just built one for an LJ usings 3/4" 11 ga. and some 1x4 c- channel. In fact just finished it a couple hours ago. You most likely wont have any luck with lighter ga. material. Its alot lighter then one made of steel and i believe it is stronger.

I don't know the gauge of the aluminum, but I'd guess the wall is about 1/8 thick. I've stood on some of the crossmembers of our awning frames to reach stuff and they bend a little bit, but never permanently. So I guess it's strong stuff.

there are many types of aluminum you can use. either a 6061 t6 or a 6063 t52 would be a good start. Check out some of the specs on the material such as the elongation%, , yield strength and the ultimate strength. a little bending is ok when the force is concentrated on one of the load bars but usually you have your load evenly distributed.

Back