• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-way tire change

BruteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This should be amusing.

My wife purchased a '97 Explorer today to replace her '91 Explorer.

Problem 1. The old Explorer has a barely-used set of BFG Long-Trails on it, which I refuse to give away when I sell it.

Problem 2. Although I could easily swap the tires/wheels from one to the other, she doesn't want to run the old rims on the newer vehicle. She's adamant.

Sub-problem. I've always though her older Explorer wheels would look pretty good on the XJ, but the old Explorer for sale sure as heck isn't getting my BFG's. They're 15" and 5-lug, but I'm not sure of the backspacing or lug-spacing. Would these fit a stock height '99 sport?

Unfortunately, I don't have any other specs, but the Ford dealership assures me that Explorer/Ranger factory wheels have been the same specs between 1991 and 1997, so if you know one will fit, the other should.

Anyone know a place in VA where I could have a 3-way tire dismount/mount done for a reasonable price?

:doh:

I believe (not 100% sure)the explorer wheels use a 5 on 4.5 but back spacing would be a little differnt. take the spare off of one of the exploaders and see if it fits would be the best test. make sure it doesnt rub calipers or hoses though or youll be making repairs .......

I have chrome rims off a mid 90's Ranger on my XJ, and the rear rims had to have the insides torched out to fit over the hub. If the Ranger/Explorer use similar sized hubs you may have the same problem

I have Ford Explorer rims on my 87, the ones that look like OutlawII's

IM000385.jpg

I put rims from my 91 exploder on my 92 XJ, I had to file the inside of rim to
clear the hub on the XJ on the rear, the front fit fine.

langer1 said:
I have Ford Explorer rims on my 87, the ones that look like OutlawII's

IM000385.jpg

Those are the exact rims I want to put on my '99. I called Sam's today and since I bought both sets of BFG's there, they'll do the 3-way swap for $108. Not bad, less than I expected to unmount and mount 12 tires.

do it your self for free, only thing you would have to pay for is to balance it. It just takes a little bit of time but its nothng that couldnt be done in an afternoon

I know 2 people that run xj rims on a ford explorer and a ranger. They are both the early 90's gold xj wheels, that I also run on my 99 xj.

The guy with the explorer has someone in his family that owns a junk yard and only put the xj wheels on temporarily until he could get aftermarket wheels. But now he likes them and says they put the tires out almost an inch farther than his stock wheels( his opinion, they look the same distance to me).

The guy that has them on his ranger said they were on there when he bouhgt them and as long as they work fine he don't care where they came from.

scottsxj said:
do it your self for free, only thing you would have to pay for is to balance it. It just takes a little bit of time but its nothng that couldnt be done in an afternoon

Perhaps another day. I've never tried it, don't have the equipment, and I'm not going to go fawking up 3 sets of tires.

Edit: Unless you'll let me try on yours first.

BruteXJ said:
Perhaps another day. I've never tried it, don't have the equipment, and I'm not going to go fawking up 3 sets of tires.

Edit: Unless you'll let me try on yours first.

You can get a tire mounter/unmounter from harbor freight for under $50 (I got mine on sale for around $30) and you can get a tire balancer there fro around $50 also. Get a few balancing weights and you'll never have to pay a shop to do your tires again.

wacho4 said:
I know 2 people that run xj rims on a ford explorer and a ranger. They are both the early 90's gold xj wheels, that I also run on my 99 xj.

The guy with the explorer has someone in his family that owns a junk yard and only put the xj wheels on temporarily until he could get aftermarket wheels. But now he likes them and says they put the tires out almost an inch farther than his stock wheels( his opinion, they look the same distance to me).

The guy that has them on his ranger said they were on there when he bouhgt them and as long as they work fine he don't care where they came from.

yah, I saw a late 80s ranger with wagoneer style rims (the ones that look like bicycle spokes) i kindof want those rims on my XJ.

jfiscus said:
You can get a tire mounter/unmounter from harbor freight for under $50 (I got mine on sale for around $30) and you can get a tire balancer there fro around $50 also. Get a few balancing weights and you'll never have to pay a shop to do your tires again.

Good advice, but I doubt my wife would want them in the living room of our apartment. Maybe after we buy a house.

Back