• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch install methods

dakotus

NAXJA Forum User
Im planning on installing a Draw-Tite Class III/IV hitch tonight. I was planning on going with the square plate and carriage bolt method since the hitch came with all that great hardware. However, I see people talking about nutcerts all the time.

Are nutcerts the preferred method to installing a hitch? I do not have a gas skid at this time, I am not sure if I will get one down the road, if that matters.

I know I have the nutcert on the passenger side already, but I am not sure if the bolts that came with the hitch will work with it. Would I even use those nutcerts on the passenger side if I went with the square plate method?

thanks

I recently installed a Hidden Hitch on my '01. It came with bolts for the nut strip and nuts that could be fished into the frame rail. I had the passenger side strip (used to hold tailpipe hanger) and bought the driver side from my local dealer. The nut strips are the better way to install it IMO - they spread the weight out over a larger area.

The Hidden Hitch used 4 holes - one on the impact bar and the three holes on the frame rail closest to the rear. The only hole the hitch did not use was the one closest to the front of the Jeep - one of the two used by the tailpipe hanger. The unused nuts on my passenger side had some rust/debris. I sprayed them with PB Blaster and slowly worked a bolt in before doing the install so I was sure they were clear once I held the hitch up there. You can see the install instructions I followed here:

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/productdetail.asp?partno=87591&yearfrom=2001&vehicleid=4646

Back