• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making a winch theft proof...

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my winch today, Its not a warn so no one with brains is gonna want to steal It anyway, but theres always a few Idiots out there who want what they dont have, anyway mines a MM9000, but anyway what did you guys do to go about making your winch from being stolen, they seem very simple to bolt-on so Im sure their Just as simple to take unbolt...I heard Warn recommends using some kinda welded on c-channel on the bolt? But Im not really sure what that means exactly, I also thought about drilling a hole through one of the bolts and puting a small key-lock on that bolt? Any Ideas? Pictures would be good to so I can get a better Idea....thanks, Josh

On the trucks at work (big Warn winches, up to 12,000 lbs) the approach has been to but a weld on the bolts at the nut, same with a couple of the front bumper mounting bolts. Removal requires a torch or an angle grinder.

I have Warn's winch mounting plate PDF that appears to be no longer available on their site. I will be happy to sent it if somebody can tell be how. It shows the "c" channel.

Matt

go to Imageshack.us, upload an Image, click the browse tab, find It on where Its stored on your computer.....upload It, then copy and past the link right here :laugh3:

XJ99 said:
Just got my winch today, Its not a warn so no one with brains is gonna want to steal It anyway, but theres always a few Idiots out there who want what they dont have, anyway mines a MM9000, but anyway what did you guys do to go about making your winch from being stolen, they seem very simple to bolt-on so Im sure their Just as simple to take unbolt...I heard Warn recommends using some kinda welded on c-channel on the bolt? But Im not really sure what that means exactly, I also thought about drilling a hole through one of the bolts and puting a small key-lock on that bolt? Any Ideas? Pictures would be good to so I can get a better Idea....thanks, Josh

I just welded one of the bolts to the bumper.

to revive an old argument:

use a multi-mount...
take it off when you arent out using it :laugh3:

ECKSJAY said:
How did you get over the approach angle issue with yours?

Pics, please.

havent made my bumper yet, dont run one yet...
the plan is to cut the front x-member out and most of the grill, have a reciver that is tucked way under and mounts the winch in about the same spot as a perma mount bumper would, and have a plate on a reciver to fill in the hole in the bumper so it doesnt look like Seite without the winch there...

that isnt the point here though -
it is a lot harder to steal when i am at the mall and my winch is in my garage/dorm room...

Kejtar said:
Before you do anything that drastic talk to Danno about flexible framerails :D

:D

that will be taken care of too...

You'd be better off welding a piece of plate or small angle iron over the head of the bolt. No offense to the bolt idea but I could use my cordless drill and remove your winch with all 4 bolts welded in less than 5 minutes by just drilling through the head of the bolt with a 3/8" drill bit (all of the while I'm laying under your vehicle where almost no one can see me).

If you really want to protect your junk, you'll do the same thing on one of the bolts for your front and rear bumpers. Given how they mount, it's not exactly difficult to just pull the entire bumper. Make your "safe guards" so freakin' obvious that you can see them with little to no effort. If you try to hide your safeguards they may get half way through destroying your junk before they realize they can't actually get it. You want to prevent them from even thinking it's worth trying.

If they want something bad enough they'll take the entire truck. The satisfaction comes in by making it so freakin' difficult that they go mess with your neighbors instead. :D

I wanna see someone alone pick-up my 200lb bumper and winch...that'd be Interesting...:laugh3:

but I have heard the welding of the bolt Idea works.....might try that...

I'll try to get you a pic but what I did is take a big u-bolt and bolt it over the winch. Then welded a tab to the u-bolt and a tab to the bumper and put a padlock on it. With the lock on it "shouldn't" go any where, at least not quickly.................

-Mike

Allen head bolts and grey RTV in the head makes it hard to figure out how to remove them.

You can get one long bolt and put a padlock adaptor over it, or buy a couple of anti-thieft bolts that take a special wrench to remove.

Having said that there is no such thing as thieft proof anything.

langer1 said:
You can get one long bolt and put a padlock adaptor over it, or buy a couple of anti-thieft bolts that take a special wrench to remove.

Having said that there is no such thing as thieft proof anything.

Exactly. Nothings going to stop someone from stealing your stuff if they want it and have the tools. But you can make it difficult enough, or time consuming enough (without specialized tools) to remove that nobody will steal it (say while parked overnight), because it would take too long and the risk of getting caught is high.

There is no such thing as "theft proof" for winches or anything else. You can only make your things theft resistant. A skilled and determined thief can take anything of yours that he wants to.

Weld a bolt, get a receiver mount, or drill for a padlock. They will all deter the opportunistic thief who's looking for an easy score.

a guy on pirate i think lost all his shit

loaded up on the trailer in his back yard with dogs behind a big fence

they cut his chain that held the fence closed with a torch and cut the chain locking his trailer/rig to a cement post

backed up into his yard hooked up got suck in the mud and managed to get out with everything

nobody herd a thing he said, to get to his backyard you must go between his house and nextdoors house

nothings safe if they really want it

put an alarm on it one of those little cheapy ones they go off for anyhting

sorry I shouldnt have said theft proof....I meant theft deterant...Most people wont have the tools on them to get a winch off a bumper that has been welded, Im Just talking about these stupid kids who only need an ADJ wrench and can walk off with $400 worth of my property in under 5 mins, I mean Its 4 simple bolts that can come right out, now If the bolts are welded on, your pry gonna need some kinda torch or grinder to get the bolts out, and If I hear a grinder at night outfront of my house Im sure I'll wake up, but If someone comes up and lays under the XJ and unbolts the 4 bolts that are not welded, they can be outa there like that in under 5 mins without a motion light even coming on outfront....

Back