• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drain valve/fuel tank...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I'm dropping the fuel tank for the third time on my '98, have the factory skid plate.

Sender went bad and need to bring up overall reliability on 105k vehicle, so I sprung for the oem pump/filter/sender.

Especially w/bad sender, difficult to estimate how much gas is left when dropping tank, thinking about installing a petcock or similar valve that would be protected by skid plate but easily accessed to drain fuel. Nirvana would be dropping an empty tank, also could benefit from occasional drain to wash crud out.

Any comments, caveats needed, thanks.

sv

i did it last weekend with the tank half full, just siphon all the gas out using a rather large piece of hose (as big a you can possibly fin in the hole) then cut a slit in it, about 3/4" and stick an air-pistol in the slit and blow towards the container you want it in to start the siphon.
Then you can unplug the fuel lines and stuff, cut the bolts, and drop the tank.
I used a hoist, and a transmission jack to hold the gas tank. good luck, its really not a bad job.

I like your method of starting the siphon - that was my main concern.

Just bought a generator that needs some reserve gas, bought two five-gallon tanks for it, perfect solution!

Thanks! Predicament history!

sv

Back