• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights Won't Shut Off

phptad

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ Limited, Auto, 172,000 Km, completely stock. This past weekend my wife and I headed out camping, and as we were driving along a rough stretch of gravel road, my high beam indicator light came on. I though it wierd as my headlights weren't on. When I finally stopped and shut the Jeep off, I checked the headlights to see if they had shut off, but they didn't. So I pulled the headlight fuse in the PDC for the weekend and decided to look into it today.

After doing some searching on this site, it seems that the most common cause of this is either the headlight switch or the sentinel light module. After work, I took the headlight switch out, inserted the fuse, but the headlights remained in even though the vehicle was off. I checked under the dash for the sentinel light module, but couldn't find it. Does anyone have the part number for this module, or any ideas as to what else could be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance.

The Sentinel module is located on the inner instrument panel to the right of the headlight switch.

You may be able to determine whether it is the module by removing the HD LP DLY fuse(#11) -- this fuse also controls the horn.

Last edited:
On my 1990, when the Daytime Running Lights module went out, the high beam headlights (used for DRL at reduced power) stayed on. If the 1991 has the same system - not sure, at some point this feature was built into the ECU- then you will find a black box on the right fender liner under the hood, behind the battery. Unplug the wire connector to regain control over your headlights. My 1990 is on its second DRL module. I like the safety advantage, so I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. It was about $65 a few years ago (in Canada).

Okay, so I found the DRL/Headlamp Module. The only problem is it is wedged behind the ABS pump, underneath the mounting bracket. I took off the 4 screws that hold the mounting bracket in place and tried to move it out of the way to reach the module. I didn't want to move to easily. Is there anyway to get to this module without having take apart ABS components?

Thanks

If it's just a matter of trying to determine the functional status of the DRL module, you can just unplug it rather than removing it.

Back