• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Orbital eyes on leaves

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have never seen these on an XJ... anyone running em. I saw them in a magazine on a Toyota. Had a sleeve deal that looked like my front control arms on my Rubicon Lift. Allowed lots of flex, with the joint taking all the flex, not the leave itself.

Is there any down side to these for a daily driver? They seem perfect, but I can't think of a down side....... and I am sure there is one.

Thanks,
Jason

I would imagine one of the downside would be the lack of an actual bushing to absorb the vibration. True there is a bushing in a johnny joint but it's about 1/8" thick so it doesn't move much. The other thing is that it may make the rear very unstable, resulting in oversteer (or is it understeer?) maybe with some disconnects on the front and rear swaybars it might work.

The other thing would be having a new mainleaf made to fit the bushings, the may fit as is into the front of the spring but i know they won't fit in the rear.

That being said i have also thought about this, but im tired of being a guinea pig so try it and tell us how it works.

Dingo

I assume you are talking about a mount between the axle tube and leaf springs? Link a hinge that mounts the axle to the springs?

I have seen these on some Early Bronco's.

Biggest problem in my mind is the height of them (like a lift block).

I have also seen like JJ's to replace the bushings at or or the other end (like Dingo explained).

Personally I think that scissor shackles would be significantly more usefull for flex and easier to install, use in application.

Michael

Don't know, but it sounds like it would have more wiggle than a $3 hooker. I would just go for something like Revolver shackles or maybe the "Z" link kit that Nth Degree mobility markets.

2xtreme said:
I assume you are talking about a mount between the axle tube and leaf springs? Link a hinge that mounts the axle to the springs?

I have seen these on some Early Bronco's.

Biggest problem in my mind is the height of them (like a lift block).

I have also seen like JJ's to replace the bushings at or or the other end (like Dingo explained).

Personally I think that scissor shackles would be significantly more usefull for flex and easier to install, use in application.

Michael
Hes talking about a Johny joint in the eye of the spring.

ren said:
Don't know, but it sounds like it would have more wiggle than a $3 hooker. I would just go for something like Revolver shackles or maybe the "Z" link kit that Nth Degree mobility markets.
Search on that stuff, it has been covered.

From what I have read, and heard from the toy guys that run this, it seems to work well. Just dont run them in the front (if you have leaves up front), or on the front and back of the same leaf.

Heres what 2xtreme is talking about:
Picture024.jpg

i have seen similar stuff on some racing stuff. here are some chrysler-type spring eyes:

http://www.secureperformanceorder.c...D=14&ClassID=180&SubclassID=854&ProductID=964

i believe these are made for camaros also, though the xj uses a kinda weird front bushing size. i don't know what else has a front bushing that size.

here is another kinda cool leaf spring accessory i've yet to see in off road circles:

http://www.secureperformanceorder.c...D=14&ClassID=180&SubclassID=851&ProductID=985
and:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/display_id.2151/qx/product.htm

there is probably some NVH issues because these are very solid pieces. the tradeoff may be worth is becaue you lose the effect of the shackle angle on spring rate and the binding when the shackle needs to change direction (negative spring arch).

here is some fun race tech about leaf suspensions:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/display_id.2151/qx/product.htm

well hope y'all find that interesting if you didn't already know.
mike

I did search, didn't find anything. Hoping also to find an XJ running em.

I am refering to the ones that replace the bushings on the end of the leaf. I just assumed that only one end would get it.

I like the axle mount one to, that looks cool, any down sides to it?

I have researced the revolvers and Nth degrees thing, and no thanks on both! I want my DD to act just like it does now on road, just better off road. (like everybody I suppose) There is always trade off, but right now I feel with the 3.5 RE Super flex, I feel I have given up very little of anything (OK, Gas mileage is suckin).

Thanks,
Jason

Red97XJ said:
I did search, didn't find anything. Hoping also to find an XJ running em.

I am refering to the ones that replace the bushings on the end of the leaf. I just assumed that only one end would get it.

I like the axle mount one to, that looks cool, any down sides to it?

I have researced the revolvers and Nth degrees thing, and no thanks on both! I want my DD to act just like it does now on road, just better off road. (like everybody I suppose) There is always trade off, but right now I feel with the 3.5 RE Super flex, I feel I have given up very little of anything (OK, Gas mileage is suckin).

Thanks,
Jason

There is someone out here in CO running them in his Alcans. Bought them from Alcan that way. So I know for a fact someone with a XJ is running this. Although his name escapes me at the moment............. :bunny:

PapaPump said:
here is another kinda cool leaf spring accessory i've yet to see in off road circles:

http://www.secureperformanceorder.c...D=14&ClassID=180&SubclassID=851&ProductID=985

I've seen those in pics of leaf sprung rigs (CJ's) out west, like in Moab and places. Pretty trick stuff. I had no idea they were from street racing. Haven't seen pics of very many rigs with them though.

As for the Orbit Eyes, check this link:

http://www.aor4x4.com/orbit-eyepoly-eye.htm

biggest problem fitting them on an XJ is they're too wide for the stock spring hanger, so you'd have to make a custom hanger for the front mount.

91 Jeep Project said:
There is someone out here in CO running them in his Alcans. Bought them from Alcan that way. So I know for a fact someone with a XJ is running this. Although his name escapes me at the moment............. :bunny:

DJ.. his name is Henry. slate blue xj on 35's. he was at the last co chapter meeting.

i believe his name on the board here is "tvguy". just pm him... super nice guy.

Another NAXJA guy "spooky", was running a set of orbit eye joints in his Alcan springs. I haven't seen him post in quite a while though.

OK, if it can't be done without redoing mounts, then what about the hinge thing that mounts between the axle tube and leave's? (like Starboard M and 2xtreme are talking about)

Where do you get em, what are the down sides to em?

Anyone running these?

I wonder what they do if you were to do donuts in the mud/sand or pavement?? would the axle actually move over, as in need a track bar now?

My RE 3.5 Super flex is great, I just want more flex from the rear.... the front blows my mind what it will do out of the box.

Jason

Yup that is me running those springs. I am currently working out a deal with alcan to go into production of the springs at a discount. They work great and I have the shackles that will be needed to run the springs. They also take the stress away from the unibody when flexed out. If anyone is interested let me know I will be getting a package deal worked up for the springs and shackle in a week or two, so far from word of mouth I have a few people in line waiting for the details.

Yea just got in this morning was going to give you a call but had to take my daughter out tomorrow is her birthday

tvguy said:
Yup that is me running those springs. I am currently working out a deal with alcan to go into production of the springs at a discount. They work great and I have the shackles that will be needed to run the springs. They also take the stress away from the unibody when flexed out. If anyone is interested let me know I will be getting a package deal worked up for the springs and shackle in a week or two, so far from word of mouth I have a few people in line waiting for the details.

Do you have any pics of your setup? From your comment about the shackle, I'm assuming you have the joing on the rear of the spring, and not the front?

Back